• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brandwood Secondary School, Sunderton Road, Kings Heath

J

Johnny A

Hello. I came across this site whilst searching for any information or images of my old school- Brandwood Secondary, in Kings Heath. I was there from 1979 to 1983 (and spent my last year there when it was called 'Baverstock North).

Can anyone please help me to find anything out?

I've located 4 files in the Birmingham Library- which I will try to look at in the next few weeks- but anything other than that would be great. I'm looking to create a couple of scrap books for my friends- as we all trun or have turned 40 this year!

John Allbright

Hello & Welcome Johny A :) Sorry i don,t know now,t about your request,
but when the Kings Heathens ;) wake up,,one or two hopefully will respond
Good luck to you & your Mates,, Cheers from Johny Y :cool:

Hi Johnny A, welcome to the forum, I went to Brandwood a bit earlier than you I was there from 1959 to 1963. I searched for information on the school, but could not find much. There's quite a few entries on Friends Reunited, that might bring a few memories back

Colin

hi i used to go to brandwood school happy days in
1969 to 1973 remember going on strike in the playground because theu had just told us we would have to stay on another year they called the police can you believe it even then we rebelled susan linthwaite

Hi Mayfield

My old school, Brandwood secondary modern, Kings Heath ( now a housing estate )

Bob

Hi,
Went to Brandwood from 1967to 1972 remember all the old teachers
mr williams miss megs the two mr slaters mr morris mr husband mr Gayle urgh headmaster mr jones.My favourite teacher who sadly is no longer with us was mr Broadway what a teacher we all respected and admired him.Loved Brandwood and was very sad when it was knocked down

i only have small memory of brandwood secondary school, it must of been 1985,when my junior school pineapple jnr & infant was being re-furbished,and we was all collected by coaches every morning,and taken to brandwood secondary school as they allocated a few classrooms for us all,...

Hi,
Went to Brandwood from 1967to 1972 remember all the old teachers
mr williams miss megs the two mr slaters mr morris mr husband mr Gayle urgh headmaster mr jones.My favourite teacher who sadly is no longer with us was mr Broadway what a teacher we all respected and admired him.Loved Brandwood and was very sad when it was knocked down

Hi Terry

Couldn,t agree more.

I know we have contacted each other using the personal message option of this site but I felt that I could add another name or two....Mr turner p.e. teacher ( what a !!!!!!! ) his predecessor Mr Clarke, Miss Wise ( had a crush on her ) & Mr Dutton who was my favourite hands down. I seem to remember a young teacher Mr Newcome or Newman, something like that & that he sadly passed away at a young age.
Does anyone also remember the caretaker Mr Tilt? an original "grumpy old man" although Now on reflection and when I look at today,s generation I can see why.

Bob56 ( Pickard )

Hi my name is steve molloy I went to Brandwood from 1962 till1966, played football for school team along side BOB LATCHFORD I am now living in France

any one at Brandwood 1962-1966 ?
class 1a2 teacher Miss Yates 1962-1963
class 2a2 teacher Mr Archer 1963-1964
class 3a2 teacher Mr Harrison 1964-1965
class 4a2 teacher Mr Phillips 1965-1966
hope to hear from somebody soon
Steve Molloy

I know this is an old thread but have just come across this forum

I attended Brandwood From 1962 / 1966

class 1a2 Miss Yates (the french teacher)
but I am sure the class form teacher for 2a2 was mr Fern ( not sure though)
I then went to 3A1 and 4A1
I remember bob latchford and ian stewart

I know this is an old thread but have just come across this forum

I attended Brandwood From 1962 / 1966

class 1a2 Miss Yates (the french teacher)
but I am sure the class form teacher for 2a2 was mr Fern ( not sure though)
I then went to 3A1 and 4A1
I remember bob latchford and ian stewart

Mr Fern was 2a1 you must have had brains as you went up,
by the way whats your name?

Yes I did wear specs and still do. I remember sue sly and vicki howls but not ann page. I remember a robert evens (good cross country runner but not as good as me lol) and roy longthorn ( good high jumper but always passing out) and robert payton the only one in the class with a posh blazer. I remember spending my dinner money in the knob on alcester lanes end. and getting caught taking a short cut on a cross country run through Brandwood end cemetry. TAYLOR FOREVER :)

Hi stag707

I was in Taylor house,
If I remember right the others were Mortimer,Greaves & Lyttleton

Yes that's right Mortimore was blue

Greaves was green

Lyttleton was red &

Taylor was yellow

correct me if I'm wrong but was there a house meeting / assembly once a month and the head of Taylor was Mr williams

"Tafffy" Williams was my form teacher in my last year 1963, and I was in Taylor House, got a free transfer from Greaves (I think), as we got on well with him, he took us fishing a number of times at Earlswood Lakes, and train spotting on the Lickey Incline. He tried to teach us to draw and paint but wasn't very successful.
I have some of my memories of Brandwood with a list of teachers I remember on my website.
https://www.bhamb14.co.uk/index_files/SCHOOLS.htm

Colin

correct me if I'm wrong but was there a house meeting / assembly once a month and the head of Taylor was Mr williams

yes meeting were once a month I remember Mr Williams well he was our football coach

did you know he played for Stoke City along side Stan Mathews

I remember Taffy well, but didn,t know about the Matthews link.
I,ll never forget when, during an art lesson, he just told the boys to go out & play football as it was a waste of time trying to teach us any more as we were leaving the next week (I think he got into trouble with the Head Master Mr Jones later that day)

Hi I did know he played football before he became a teacher I remember he had a problem with his knees or something (memorys a bit sketchy) but he was one of the better teachers well liked by all

Saw Mr Williams in Morrisons supermarket about four years ago i was with my son and was amazed when he knew my name and said to my son
"your dad had a lovely left foot"I was very proud and honoured that all the thousands of kids who went through the school he remembed that .
Do you remember the other art teacher who sadly died he was quite young.Mr Broadway was my favourite along with Mr Williams

Saw Mr Williams in Morrisons supermarket about four years ago i was with my son and was amazed when he knew my name and said to my son
"your dad had a lovely left foot"I was very proud and honoured that all the thousands of kids who went through the school he remembed that .
Do you remember the other art teacher who sadly died he was quite young.Mr Broadway was my favourite along with Mr Williams
Yes I remember (Wezel) your lovely left foot when we played for the School team and when we went onto play for Garringtons (Bromsgrove) FC, I also have a team photgraph of us when we played for Garringtons.
I to was very sad when Brandwood was pulled down back in 1985 and also remember all the old Teachers you mention, as they say "those were the good old days". I hope you've guessed that this is from your best old school mate "Willy Williamson".

Hi I did know he played football before he became a teacher I remember he had a problem with his knees or something (memorys a bit sketchy) but he was one of the better teachers well liked by all
He was a great teacher and I can remember him trying to make me use my right foot he said a lot of clubs were looking at me but were put off as I only had a left foot.Many years later I met mr Williams in Morrisons supermarket I was with my teenage son he looked at me and said to my son "Terry Court,your dad had a lovely left foot "A proud moment to be remembered out of thousands of pupils

Hi David, Would it be possible to add your photograph of Garringtons F.C. to this thread please.

Kind regards.........Viv

Back