• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brandwood Secondary School, Sunderton Road, Kings Heath

Hi mate how are you been a few years ,still married to Jane 33 years rememember when the girls used to watch us at Garringtons are you still with Sue,and how's your brother Tony.Im in the police forces nod my claim to fame I was on deal or no deal four years ago won 41 000 let me know how your doing mate great to hear from you
Yes I remember (Wezel) your lovely left foot when we played for the School team and when we went onto play for Garringtons (Bromsgrove) FC, I also have a team photgraph of us when we played for Garringtons.
I to was very sad when Brandwood was pulled down back in 1985 and also remember all the old Teachers you mention, as they say "those were the good old days". I hope you've guessed that this is from your best old school mate "Willy Williamson".

Hi again Tez, I had been hoping that you would reply since I posted this last May. Great to hear from you, yes still with Sue 30 years married now. Tony doing fine and still unmarried. Never really did view deal or no deal as I'm sure I would have recognised you even after all this time. This site is new to me so is there any way of us getting intouch rather than posting our email address's for everyone to see? I had read on here they Bob Pickard and yourself have made contact using some other private site? Would love to hear from you again and catch up some more.

Hi again Tez, I had been hoping that you would reply since I posted this last May. Great to hear from you, yes still with Sue 30 years married now. Tony doing fine and still unmarried. Never really did view deal or no deal as I'm sure I would have recognised you even after all this time. This site is new to me so is there any way of us getting intouch rather than posting our email address's for everyone to see? I had read on here they Bob Pickard and yourself have made contact using some other private site? Would love to hear from you again and catch up some more.
Hi mate it's amazing because Jane and I was only talking about you the other day,so glad you and Sue are still together
land Tony is ok.I see you live in Bewdley one of our favourite places to go always there,I always think of Arley when we used to go fishing very early I remember.

Terry I have removed your email address from this message and forwarded it to David Williamson by Personal message, Alberta(,Moderator.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Latching on to the Kings heath thread for a sec . . .

I notice that there's a Panorama programme on BBC1 tonight about Baverstock Academy in Kings Heath. It's a new one on me but i seem to remember a Baverstock house on Druids Heath.

Does anyone know where this school is ?

Cheers Colin.
From what you say it must be the one more or less opposite Crabmill lane.
I seem to remember it used to be called something else, (it wasn't popular with the locals either !).

Hello. I came across this site whilst searching for any information or images of my old school- Brandwood Secondary, in Kings Heath. I was there from 1979 to 1983 (and spent my last year there when it was called 'Baverstock North).

Can anyone please help me to find anything out?

I've located 4 files in the Birmingham Library- which I will try to look at in the next few weeks- but anything other than that would be great. I'm looking to create a couple of scrap books for my friends- as we all trun or have turned 40 this year!

John Allbright
I did not know you. I attended Brandwood Secondary School from 1977-1982. I left before it amalgamated with Maypole School (and others) to become Baverstock. You must have been the year below me, but could have seen me in the school productions of 'Smike', 'Hobson's Choice' and 'The Happiest Days Of Our Lives'. Also in the fashion shows we had along with the 'Disco' competitions. My year held another 'John Lennon', who was in the football team and a heartthrob for the ladies. I remember the extensive grounds of courts and grass along with the pond area, where we had such fun! The pond is still there as it contains rare newts. You can see it from the perimeters of Brandwood Cemetery.

I know this is an old thread but have just come across this forum

I attended Brandwood From 1962 / 1966

class 1a2 Miss Yates (the french teacher)
but I am sure the class form teacher for 2a2 was mr Fern ( not sure though)
I then went to 3A1 and 4A1
I remember bob latchford and ian stewart
Those schooled at Brandwood were never allowed to forget the Latchford brothers. There was a 'famous' trampolinist!!?

"Tafffy" Williams was my form teacher in my last year 1963, and I was in Taylor House, got a free transfer from Greaves (I think), as we got on well with him, he took us fishing a number of times at Earlswood Lakes, and train spotting on the Lickey Incline. He tried to teach us to draw and paint but wasn't very successful.
I have some of my memories of Brandwood with a list of teachers I remember on my website.
https://www.bhamb14.co.uk/index_files/SCHOOLS.htm

Colin
Mr Williams was still there when I attende from 1977-82. He was an Art teacher when I attended Brandwood, but did don kit for sports days. We were all perplexed, but didn't know his history.

Mr Williams was still there when I attende from 1977-82.
Yes I remember (Wezel) your lovely left foot when we played for the School team and when we went onto play for Garringtons (Bromsgrove) FC, I also have a team photgraph of us when we played for Garringtons.
I to was very sad when Brandwood was pulled down back in 1985 and also remember all the old Teachers you mention, as they say "those were the good old days". I hope you've guessed that this is from your best old school mate "Willy Williamson".
When was your time at Brandwood Secondary School?

My teachers were: Mr Bushell, Mr Pomrey, Mr Beck, Mr Wright, Mr Husband,Mr Montgomery, Mrs Standford, Mrs Armitage, Mrs Pechy, Mr Stanton, Mr Williams, Mr Evans, Miss Allen (hated her). I can/can't remember, a lot of the others, because they meant nothing to me/or were vile. Our RE teacher was vile, Mr Coleman, no one liked him. He had a congregation in Kings Heath. He liked no-one he taught. I was his best student, but I still had to duck when keys and board rubbers flew. Then there was Mr Gale, say no-more!!

Hi Johnny A, welcome to the forum, I went to Brandwood a bit earlier than you I was there from 1959 to 1963. I searched for information on the school, but could not find much. There's quite a few entries on Friends Reunited, that might bring a few memories back

Colin
Hi colin did you know Steven Waldron, went about 1967 to 1971.anything will help.

Hi Steve - Hope you are well?

Just come across this forum and remember your name well! I seem to remember that you had quite a mop of hair at one time?

Like you i played in same team as Bob Latchford along with Mike (Pixie) Pickering, Terry Vanstone, Chris Burge, Mike Tipping.

I was in 4S1 in my final year. Harry Dutton was my teacher and what a great guy he was! Last i heard of him he was living in Manchester. He used to meet up with Bev Packwood quite a lot.

Great memories of a great school.

Best wishes

He was a great teacher and I can remember him trying to make me use my right foot he said a lot of clubs were looking at me but were put off as I only had a left foot.Many years later I met mr Williams in Morrisons supermarket I was with my teenage son he looked at me and said to my son "Terry Court,your dad had a lovely left foot "A proud moment to be remembered out of thousands of pupils
Hi Terry, I don't know if you remember me (George). We were in the same class for a number of years. I live in New Zealand now with my family and retired 3 years ago. I now live in rural Wairarapa with my wife, 4 chickens, 2 dogs and 3 alpacas. I do have fond memories of Brandwood and enjoyed my time there- such a long time ago. And yes, I remember Mr Morris. He encouraged my studies and managed to get me on a physics course. A great teacher and a nice man. I suppose our old class mates are scattered to the four winds. I often think of them. By the way, the photo is not me. It's for my blog, Flaxen Saxon.

Hi Terry, I don't know if you remember me (George). We were in the same class for a number of years. I live in New Zealand now with my family and retired 3 years ago. I now live in rural Wairarapa with my wife, 4 chickens, 2 dogs and 3 alpacas. I do have fond memories of Brandwood and enjoyed my time there- such a long time ago. And yes, I remember Mr Morris. He encouraged my studies and managed to get me on a physics course. A great teacher and a nice man. I suppose our old class mates are scattered to the four winds. I often think of them. By the way, the photo is not me. It's for my blog, Flaxen Saxon.
Reading these posts makes me feel that I must be one of the oldest remaining pupils from Brandwood. I started there in 1955 just after the school opened and left aged 15 in 1959. I don,t recognise any of the teachers mentioned. The headmaster was mr Locker who lived quite local to the school and died not long after I started, digging his garden if my memory is correct. Then followed Mr Marshall who was a believer in the cane solved everything which I found out quite often when our bus was late.

Back