• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vale Onslow Building Stratford Rd

A serious incident it seems. The Mail says it started in a house, which I guess is one above the former shops.
Edited:
yes, fires are usually PUT OUT with hoses. :D

Last edited:
sorry alan i had to have a giggle at your post...the fire started in a hose?? its ok i know you meant house:D

lyn

does anyone know if vale onslow has now ceased or are they taking up new premises...

Very sad end to what was Vales business. The man worked there until past his 100th birthday.
Had the shop completely closed down before the fire? Was it just an empty shell with no stock in it? Would hate to think that all that classic bike stock went up in flames.
That strip of shops was a mecca for the rockers in the 50s and 60s with a number of bike shops, all gone now.
RG Motorcycles was one I believe.
The old rockers will be reminiscing tonight and crying over there beer, me included as a biker, but I wasn't a rocker.

Very sad end to what was Vales business. The man worked there until past his 100th birthday.
Had the shop completely closed down before the fire? Was it just an empty shell with no stock in it? Would hate to think that all that classic bike stock went up in flames.
That strip of shops was a mecca for the rockers in the 50s and 60s with a number of bike shops, all gone now.
RG Motorcycles was one I believe.
The old rockers will be reminiscing tonight and crying over there beer, me included as a biker, but I wasn't a rocker.
We're in the motorbike business and apparently the bikes were moved out of the shop to different premises a few months ago.
Another end of an era :(

Very true Astoness, lets look on the positive side, and as lynnrymond says the stock was moved out, so was saved.:)

just heard that the building/buildings affected by the fire will be demolished

lyn

This seems to end the Vale-Onslow Stratford Road chapter. Now we need a photo of their new premises - and maybe what was there beforehand.

The address online is on Bordesley Green Trading Estate. Their website just says "undergoing significant change".

ahh yes alan the station hotel....had forgotten about it...shame its now closed

lyn

Yes. Two units on the industrial site. You can see them from this picture. In years gone by I think this site was where Mulliners body works used to be.
That, Bob, would explain the reference to the last occupier of the Station Hotel being Mulliners.

The bus diversion is still on. First time I went on it today via Small Heath Highway, Golden Hillock Road and Walford Road. By the time the bus routes go back to normal, I expect a big demolition site to be there.

I visited the site at 6am this morning. The Vale Onslow shop has been demolished completely and there is only minor fire damage to the adjacent shop and the demolition work could have been carried out quite safely without closing the whole of Stratford Road (part of the shop was demolished safely last year with no road closures).
The trouble is, we have all the Health & Safety fairies in authority now; heaven knows what they would have done in the war when adults & kids had to scramble over the remains of bombed buildings (some with unexploded bombs in them), just to get to work and school every morning!
The Stratford Road could have been opened to normal traffic this morning, as there is no danger whatsoever.

The bus diversion in the morning went by quickly. In the evening was slow getting around Small Heath. Yet for some reason I've seen cars entering Stratford Road in Sparkbrook at both ends, despite the Road Closed signs! I expect another day of the diversion tomorrow!

I re-visited the site this morning at 5.30am and it appears that they are now demolishing the two shops adjacent to the Vale-Onslow shop, and the Stratford Road is still closed off. Any competent demolition company could have demolished these small buildings without having to close the into-city carriageway of the Stratford Road, but the closure must be down to the interfering council fairies!
The major traffic diversion along the Small Heath by-pass, is even affecting traffic on the Coventry Road which is building up on the approach to the Watering Hole island.

Not forgetting Hephaestus, the God of Fire, whose acolytes love old historic buildings, and, while not working for their God, reside in the dens of property developers

Not forgetting Hephaestus, the God of Fire, whose acolytes love old historic buildings, and, while not working for their God, reside in the dens of property developers
...........and those acolytes who are careless with blow lamps/torches and heaters.

The trouble is that the acolytes take no notice of health or safety, walking round with their candles.

Back