• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vale Onslow Building Stratford Rd

It's in a sad state now. Not sure what's happening with the demolished corner, just broken bricks on the ground. Wondering when they will move to Bordesley Green?

Hello ell, I bought a new Italian m/cycle from V.Onslow in the late 50s and it was a decent shop for help and service. I also passed it 10 times most days as a bus driver doing 5 trips in and out on the Warwick and Stratford roads. I remember it well.

Have you been past it recently? As I regularly get my Stratford Road buses past it.

The area is mostly Asian and African now.

Have you been past it recently? As I regularly get my Stratford Road buses past it.

The area is mostly Asian and African now.
Hello again ell, I will not go into detail but sufficient to say the whole area is nothing like it used to be.

Another reminder of how the building used to look, this photo has to be after 1960 because of the MOT sign displayed in the window. The second photo shows the shop sometime prior to being taken over by Vale Onslow c1945. Sparkbrook Vale Onslow Stratford Rd.JPG Sparkbrook Stratford Rd - Kyotts Lake Rd Prior Vale Onslow.JPG

The photos taken post 1960's are not familiar to me but do show how trade must have increased as the shop fronts are modern - for the time. Interestingly Masons shop front and sign does not seem to have changed sine the c. 1945 photo and the post 1960 one.
However a photo of V-O's in the late 1940's, early 1950's would be recognisable.

yes ell but i cant see much restoration being done on them now...just look how nice they were in phils pic 1 post 24

lyn

A serious incident it seems. The Mail says it started in a house, which I guess is one above the former shops.
Edited:
yes, fires are usually PUT OUT with hoses. :D

Last edited:
sorry alan i had to have a giggle at your post...the fire started in a hose?? its ok i know you meant house:D

lyn

does anyone know if vale onslow has now ceased or are they taking up new premises...

Very sad end to what was Vales business. The man worked there until past his 100th birthday.
Had the shop completely closed down before the fire? Was it just an empty shell with no stock in it? Would hate to think that all that classic bike stock went up in flames.
That strip of shops was a mecca for the rockers in the 50s and 60s with a number of bike shops, all gone now.
RG Motorcycles was one I believe.
The old rockers will be reminiscing tonight and crying over there beer, me included as a biker, but I wasn't a rocker.

Very sad end to what was Vales business. The man worked there until past his 100th birthday.
Had the shop completely closed down before the fire? Was it just an empty shell with no stock in it? Would hate to think that all that classic bike stock went up in flames.
That strip of shops was a mecca for the rockers in the 50s and 60s with a number of bike shops, all gone now.
RG Motorcycles was one I believe.
The old rockers will be reminiscing tonight and crying over there beer, me included as a biker, but I wasn't a rocker.
We're in the motorbike business and apparently the bikes were moved out of the shop to different premises a few months ago.
Another end of an era :(

Very true Astoness, lets look on the positive side, and as lynnrymond says the stock was moved out, so was saved.:)

just heard that the building/buildings affected by the fire will be demolished

lyn

Back