• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guildford Street Lozells

lol dave we are both wrong...its post 264...click on the link that takes you to the astonbrook site and scroll down to see a photo of the shop i am on about

lyn

lol dave we are both wrong...its post 264...click on the link that takes you to the astonbrook site and scroll down to see a photo of the shop i am on about

lyn
See my post 266, I was referring to post 264. The shop was directly opposite Paddington St. BTW, not sure if you know this but the Guildford Rd end of Paddington St was referred to as the "top end", and Porchester St was the "bottom end".
Dave A

ok dave..enjoy..ive been quite busy today but i will post some more photos on here of guildford asap

lyn

ok folks as promised a few more of guildford st..all dated i think and some also has the numbering on them

lyn

guildford_st002.jpg guildford_st003.jpg guildford_st004.jpg guildford_st005.jpg guildford_st006.jpg

actually maurice this one must show your no 12..it shows the same white wall as in pic 5 post 277..so no 12 could be the house after the wall in photo below..mike ingram also provided this map ages ago so he maybe able to help us..this photo shows how much of an incline the street had..

guildfordcourts.jpg

Attachments

• guildfordst (1).jpg
    guildfordst (1).jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 65
Picture number 5, Lyn, and it just depends from which direction. Unreadable sign on the wall too - that might help. Thanks.

Maurice

mike ingram may also help..think he lived in eden place we need mikejee for street maps with house numbering on..

This is a bit peculiar. Maybe the map is wrong, but the c 1950 map does not show a no 12, the space that would save been no 12 being
the entry to court 63. The c1889 map (which i have superimposed nos on) does not have a no 10, but there is a small building (gone in 1950) which is at the position that no 12 would be. this building does not seem to be present on the (smaller scale) c1915 map, whereas no 10 is there, as in 1950. I must assume that this small building was no 12 and that it disappeared around the turn of the century. this would not (I hope) go against anything in Maurice's records

map c 1889 showing lower end of guildford st.jpg mapc 1950 showing lower end of guildford st.jpg

many thanks mike...maurice will confirm what year he had someone at no 12 but i think it was well before 1950 and looking at your evidence no 12 was well gone before that..

lyn

Hi Mike & Lyn,

Ooops, my mistake and Mike is probably right. I extracted all the location with associated events from my database - about the only way I can attach an address to the name who lives there - and then misread this particular one. It should actually be House 32, Court 14 Guildford Street and the home of William Thomas SEDGWICK, a brassworker in bedstead manufacture, & his family in 1901. In fact I have no idea where Court 14 is. Sorry to have had you chasing the wrong address! Now, where is the real address please?

Maurice

no worries maurice i am used to going round the houses lol.hopefully mike can pinpoint court 14 for you...must be quite big to have 32 houses in it...

lyn

Maurice
Also (or later) called Gladstone Terrace, and no 32 is shown in red on the c 1950 map below

map c 1950 showing house 32 court 14 guildford st.jpg

Thank you very much. Mike, that was a speedy bit of work! So it is roughly behind number 146 Guildford Street. They packed them in tight in those days!

Maurice

so maurice if you go to my post 250..very sad story but 146 is still standing...narrowly escaping serious air raid..you will see the gap in mikes map matches up with my photo on that post

actually i have a clearer photo than the one i posted on post 250 so for you and for geoff here it is

lyn

guildford_st009.jpg

Wow, Lyn, it must have been nuclear proof. As far as I can work out, 32 Court 14 is now buried somewhere under Holte Secondary School - am I correct? There are certainly very few landmarks left today that enable you to trace the route of Guildford Street!

So the white wall just left of the centre of the pic is the side wall of number 146? That is simply amazing.

Maurice

Hi Lyn,

I use that occasionally and it is very useful when I remember, but for this I used the usual Google Streetview & Maps, which is not conclusive when almost all of the landmarks have been wiped out by BCC's 1960s nuclear explosions! Of course,
I frequently have to depend of mikejee's map expertise when I need courts & house numbers, for which I am very grateful.

Now I have to add it all to the database and write it up, without which it won't mean a lot to future generations.

Maurice

Picture number 5 is at the end of Guildford Street with the corner at Farm Street. The photograph is a little deceptive as that part was level.
Looking at my map, the yellow area is Eden place which was back of number 14. So I think that by the lower left corner of the yellow section, the house to the left was number 14. So number 12 is the next one down (to the right of the 'fo' of the word Guildford). I did knew the name of the family living ther between the 40s and 60s; it may come back to me. You can see the house in photo number 5; on the far left there is number 14 with a white wall facing us; number 12 is the next one after the gap where you can see a curved topped wall and the the gate to number 12.
In the map you can see their yard and there was the a wall before the row of houses to the right which were not accessesed from Guildford Street but from Farm Street.
I hope that makes sense.
You can see the light wall of number 14 and the wall of number 12 in the photo of post 278 which was actually taken by my brother in law, Dennis Sanders, who lived in Trafalgar Place, shown on the map.

The name of the family was the Martins. However, the house I identified was number 10. Certainly, from 1918 onwards there was no number 12, (looking at the 1918 and later electoral registers). It must have been between 14 an 10 where the wall and gate for number 10 was. How, why and when it disappeared I have no idea.
Just remembered that the Martins had a coal yard.
There is no number 12 on the 1901 census but in 1911, ther is no house there but number 12 is referred to as a hauliers yard.

Michael,

If you look back to post #284 on this page, you will see that I made a boo-boo! It was actually House 32 Court 14, which mikejee has kindly pinpointed as being behind 146 Guildford Street, which amazingly is still standing. Thanks for taking the time and we now know that number 12 was a haulier's yard.

Maurice

I have just discovered that I posted this after looking at the posts on the last page, not realising that this page was there. Despite the mix up I found it interesting to research my bit of the Street

Back