• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guildford Street Lozells

yes mike i shall be putting them on in the vain hope we can identify the locations but with little or no clues it could prove difficult.....will post them under the streets section of the forum...

lyn

Hi Michael, can you tell me whether Clifford St/Guildford St was on the corner of Porchester St. I have been reading the forum your sisters name is Olive, she use to warm the back of her legs, standing with her back to the fire. Can you please ask her did she ever give a little girl a black/white teddy bear one Christmas in Porchester st. I may have the wrong Olive, I don't have last name I was only around 5 yr. She may of known my mother. What beautiful pictures you have.

Jackie, my sister was Olive. I will try to remember to ask her when I speak to her. She may not remember, she is 87 now. What was your mother's name and what year about was that Christmas?

My mothers name was Anastasia Pritchatt, but told people to call her Ann. She had 5 children. Christmas 1964/65 /66 not totally sure I was only a baby. We moved in 1960, I was born there in the Nov, 60 Porchester st. We left 66/7.

Thanks for asking

Jackie

Hi Mike, can you show her the picture of the Porchester Arms with the gentleman and the little girl, it may recall the little girl. I am sure that's me, also on the steps of 60 Porchester St.

Jackie

I have spoken to my sister Olive. It didn't ring any bells for her. But, she did say that the other Olive she knew then was Olive Evans who lived at the Summer Lane end of Geach Street.

hi folks due to the forum hacking some years ago quite a few of our images were lost...if anyone is able to repost their originals i would be most grateful..i shall be doing my best to tidy this thread up today and to repost the photos i posted that were lost..

lyn

Last edited:
before i repost all of my missing photos and tidy up this thread i am posting this one first for new member geoff astle to look at...geoff this shot show numbers 132 to 156 so the gap with missing houses is where no 142 would have stood and where 8 members of your astle family sadly lost their lives at 4/142 during the air raids of ww2 there was also deaths at nos 140 and 144 so that gap is where the 3 front houses stood..bit busy now so i will re post all the other photos later on..just as an aside to this very sad story here are the accounts of what happened in the guildford st air raid surrounding no 142 and the back houses

The major incidents occurred when a High Explosive bomb exploded in Guildford Street, demolishing about 16 back to back houses and a number of people were trapped in the cellars under the debris, after which a fire broke out above them.

lyn

Picture 016.jpg

Last edited:
That is the part of the Street where the Mansells (mentioned in the Burbury Street School thread - ref to the Astles) lived

before i repost all of my missing photos and tidy up this thread i am posting this one first for new member geoff astle to look at...geoff this shot show numbers 132 to 156 so the gap with missing houses is where no 142 would have stood and where 8 members of your astle family sadly lost their lives at 4/142 during the air raids of ww2 there was also deaths at nos 140 and 144 so that gap is where the 3 front houses stood..bit busy now so i will re post all the other photos later on..just as an aside to this very sad story here are the accounts of what happened in the guildford st air raid surrounding no 142 and the back houses

The major incidents occurred when a High Explosive bomb exploded in Guildford Street, demolishing about 16 back to back houses and a number of people were trapped in the cellars under the debris, after which a fire broke out above them.

lyn

View attachment 112481
Thank you Lyn, that's an incredible photo and quite moving to think that's where so many of my family lost their lives. Thank you for sharing.

geoff i would say i am happy to help but on this occasion it is a very sad tale albeit history...when i have time i will add a few more photos of the street for you...

lyn

Lyn,

I've never got around to reading this thread before and am only up to page 8 now, but what a fascinating thread it is! On my maternal side I have associations with numbers 12 (TAYLOR), 32 (SEDGWICK), and 86 (LINGARD), but sadly all too early for anyone here to remember, the period around 1891 to 1901, give or take a few years.

Many of you, especially Mike, seem to have made lots of connections from their younger days, and that's what this site is all about. I look forward to enjoying reading the remainder of this thread over the next hour or two!

Maurice

hi maurice i can help with no 86..pic shows nos 72 to 104... so probably about 3 up from the corner shop..numbering started from the farm st end and as with many streets round that way they were quite steep

guildford_st018.jpg

Hi Lyn,

Thanks for that nice pic. The SEDGWICKs - and they were large families - were mainly occupied as curriers, a filthy trade that involved soaking animal hides in barrels of water, which froze in the winter, and then scraping the remains of fur & flesh from them. The smarter ones, including my great uncle Garibaldi SEDGWICK, got out the trade as soon as they could, and moved into the gun trade. Garibaldi had workshops in Weaman Street along with many others and I remember meeting him at my grandmother's house in Bartons Bank on several occasions in the 1950s when he was aged 92. Nice jovial old chap.

Maurice

nice to have a bit of your family background to go with the photo maurice...this one is the corner of guildford and paddington st where i was born in our nans back to back..she used that outdoor which was no 52...your numbers 12 and 32 would have been in the section of guildford st between farm st and paddington..photo of the outdoor

guildford_st022.jpg

Lyn,

Another great photo to add to my database - it all helps to generate the atmosphere. Thank you very much.

Maurice

mike that photo of paddington/guildford was most likely taken when i was still in paddington st..just but of course our nan stayed in paddington until they dragged her out...then we moved to villa st..when we visited nan we always took the farm st route avoiding the steepness of guildford...you maybe able to confirm or not my memory here...as you came out of paddington and crossed over guildford i seem to remember a little shop ??

lyn

Much later on though, Mike, and all three of these families had moved on before the 1911 Census. But thanks for your information

Lyn, yes, currently 11:30pm here as I type this, but I look forward to seeing more pics of the street. Many thanks.

Maurice

mike would that shop have been just up a bit from the junction with paddington...could be my memory of course but in my minds eye it seemed a bit smaller than that

lyn

mike would that shop have been just up a bit from the junction with paddington...could be my memory of course but in my minds eye it seemed a bit smaller than that

lyn
That was the grocery store across from Paddington St. I used to go there for things that Bellingers didn't carry...they had a better selection than most stores not on the main roads.
Dave A

hi dave if you click on the link on post 254 that mike ingram posted...does that look like the shop to you

lyn

hi dave if you click on the link on post 254 that mike ingram posted...does that look like the shop to you

lyn
Hi Lyn, it's actually post 255...however, not the shop across from Paddington St. That photo shows the corner of Kensington St and Guildford St, where the hill started...
Dave A

Back