• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always fascinated by the prams in the old street photos and here's a nice one in Court 2, Darwin Street. All the women in the photo are looking at the baby in the pram and two of them seem slightly concerned with the one in the far doorway looking puzzled. There are actually two prams so maybe they are childminders! A nice collection of flower boxes and plants on two houses must have added a touch of greenery to the scene.
View attachment 111515

The full photo
View attachment 111516
(from Shoothill)
Is that woman with the line prop pole vaulting>

We had a very long washing line prop. It was just a 2x2 piece of wood with a 'V' sawn into one end. Over time it had turned a bleached grey colour. But the prop must have been extremely long as we had a line on a pulley system, the pulley being near the upstairs bathroom window (maybe to easily peg out the washing if washed in the bath? Pre-washing machines of course). The prop was a source of amusement to me and my friends when we would swing it around imitating the Laurel and Hardy/Buster Keeton-type scenes where a man with a ladder would narrowly miss a passer by (or even smack the passer-by with the ladder). I think the prop must have been at least 7 or 8ft long. Viv.

We had a very long washing line prop. It was just a 2x2 piece of wood with a 'V' sawn into one end. Over time it had turned a bleached grey colour. But the prop must have been extremely long as we had a line on a pulley system, the pulley being near the upstairs bathroom window (maybe to easily peg out the washing if washed in the bath? Pre-washing machines of course). The prop was a source of amusement to me and my friends when we would swing it around imitating the Laurel and Hardy/Buster Keeton-type scenes where a man with a ladder would narrowly miss a passer by (or even smack the passer-by with the ladder). I think the prop must have been at least 7 or 8ft long. Viv.
Yes. They were long then. I used to struggle to balance it as a little un and swung it round and hit Nan!
I remember the hollow plonk they made when they hit the ground. I made a rudimentry tennis court with them and whacked the ball against the wash house door and annoyed the neighbours. That came from being brought up as an only child. And the iron post cemented in to the ground with 4 prongs at the top you wound your line around, like horizontal giraffe horns.
I am told they came in handy for fishing people out of ponds with thin ice.

My Uncle Chris made my Mom a new prop, he was a retired commissionaire and I think it took him a couple of weeks to hand saw it in his spare time from a long plank. We had the one and he and his wife had the other.
He lived in Smallheath and we brought it home to Sparkbrook on the number 8 bus.
I think a couple of clippies wouldn't let us on but one took pity on us and allowed Mom to stand on the platform and had the prop pointing up the bus stairwell . As a kid it seemed about 10 feet tall.
Cheers Tim

I have just made my wife a new prop, she still likes to hang out washing in the garden to dry.

A pic from post#1581 of a prop in use in quite difficult conditions in Freer Rd.
index.php

(only visible if logged in)

Last edited:
Despite the house being 'propped' (sorry for the pun) in photo #2017, it looks very unstable, yet the two women to the right seem oblivious and carry on their usual chat while hanging out the washing. Viv.

Despite the house being 'propped' (sorry for the pun) in photo #2017, it looks very unstable, yet the two women to the right seem oblivious and carry on their usual chat while hanging out the washing. Viv.

I think it would be safe, I doubt those responsible for the support framework would have been happy at leaving the place otherwise.
I agree about the ladies however, but then that was before the mid 20th. century 'nanny' state came upon us, folks just accepted things and got on with life, no exclusion zones or do not cross tapes. ;)

I think it would be safe, I doubt those responsible for the support framework would have been happy at leaving the place otherwise.
I agree about the ladies however, but then that was before the mid 20th. century 'nanny' state came upon us, folks just accepted things and got on with life, no exclusion zones or do not cross tapes. ;)
They did take some precautions in the war ... as seen in this pic from post#1544 ... :)
index.php

(only visible if logged in)

At least three line props in this forum pic from post#50 ... I've looked at this pic many times and just noticed the lady on the right in the doorway appears to have no legs and feet ... but I think there is an explanation ...
Courtyard_Ladywood.jpg

Men only caught in this 1940s pic, where are the women ?
This photo brings back many old memories for me because as a youngster I often caught the No 6 tram in Martineau St and if the weather was fine I'd sit on the open balcony of the tram and hear the wheels screeching as the tram made the sharp right turn into Corporation St.
Across the road is Cherry St which had two of my favourite shops ... 'Grenvilles' and the 'Model Aerodrome'. Even the advert on the tram 'Everybody's' reminds me that I read it once or twice but can't remember what was in it.
No6 Tram MartineauSt.jpg

My only memory of Cherry Street was that there was a stamp collectors shop, I used to collect stamps and when I was about 13 I found a stamp that seemed to be a bit rare so I took it into the shop and the man gave me £12 for it, a lot of money back then, probably worth a £million now. o_O

This photo brings back many old memories for me because as a youngster I often caught the No 6 tram in Martineau St and if the weather was fine I'd sit on the open balcony of the tram and hear the wheels screeching as the tram made the sharp right turn into Corporation St.
Across the road is Cherry St which had two of my favourite shops ... 'Grenvilles' and the 'Model Aerodrome'. Even the advert on the tram 'Everybody's' reminds me that I read it once or twice but can't remember what was in it.
View attachment 111849
Hi Mohawk,
I wonder if this was mainly men going to the dog track at Perry Barr. It was not very popular with women in those days. A good photograph anyway.
Old Boy

Hi Mohawk,
I wonder if this was mainly men going to the dog track at Perry Barr. It was not very popular with women in those days. A good photograph anyway.
Old Boy

The first race on a Saturday afternoon in the 40s at Perry Barr seems to have been 3.30pm, looks like the right time of day. I notice that the first results appear in the "Latest" in the Evening Mail.

Those familiar with the suns movements over the city might be able to give an idea about the time of day based on the shadows. Dog track has been mentioned (never went to one as I was too young) but the speedway track, which I did visit on occasions (29A bus from Hall Green) crossed my mind.
When crossing the city to visit family, the model shop was a port of call for almost all boys and model enthusiasts and as for the women well maybe they let their husbands, boyfriends etc. go to Perry Barr so they could spend time looking around Rackhams. Lewis's and Greys amongst other places. ;)

Hi Lady P, I think she's expecting but she's said something to the little girl which has put her in a thoughtful pose. There was another young girl in Wheeler Street we wondered about in post#171 way back in 2013 !
It's just an forum pic of Wheeler St in the 1960's, but the young girl on the left is either deep in thought or has seen a cyclist fall off his bike because he was looking at the photographer instead of where he was going....
That man walking down the footpath has spotted something good in a shop window....
index.php

Those familiar with the suns movements over the city might be able to give an idea about the time of day based on the shadows. Dog track has been mentioned (never went to one as I was too young) but the speedway track, which I did visit on occasions (29A bus from Hall Green) crossed my mind.
When crossing the city to visit family, the model shop was a port of call for almost all boys and model enthusiasts and as for the women well maybe they let their husbands, boyfriends etc. go to Perry Barr so they could spend time looking around Rackhams. Lewis's and Greys amongst other places. ;)
Looking at the shadows, it looks about 8.30/9.00 in the morning a bit late for them to go to work, too early for a match at Villa Park, most of the dog racing my Dad went to was in the evenings ..

Last edited:
View attachment 111849
This brings back memories to me too. It also begs the question as to why I would catch the #6 tram, that went down Newtown Row, when I could have crossed the road in Corporation St and caught the 5A bus that went down Summer Lane, a short walk from Paddington St. The Model Aerodrome was paradise for me as a kid.
Dave A

Hi Dave, It was always more interesting on a tram .. buses did not have open balconies to sit on ... simple things amused us back then.
Me and my mates lived in Great Barr and after we got off at the Perry Barr terminus we had to catch a Midland Red bus to continue our journey and get home !
oldmohawk

Hi Dave, It was always more interesting on a tram .. buses did not have open balconies to sit on ... simple things amused us back then.
Me and my mates lived in Great Barr and after we got off at the Perry Barr terminus we had to catch a Midland Red bus to continue our journey and get home !
oldmohawk
I guess you are right. It was more fun on the tram. Didn't they have wooden seats? I remember the tram ride on the Bristol Rd to the Lickey's. It really picked up speed along there, that was the best part!
Dave A

oldmohawk
Were the notices in the upper deck windows advising of the forthcoming closure? What a superb photo though you get the full feeling of the size and power of the tram.

Living outside the city boundaries meant that open countryside and country pastimes were quite a normal occurrence.
So for me the best part and reason of going to 'The Lickey's' was in fact the tram ride - which could be a mini roller coaster trip - when out of the busy passenger times. An ice cream became another highlight before returning to Selly Oak for the 11 Outer Circle and subsequently the Stratford Road routes which took me in the direction of home. I never travelled the route at Bank Holiday times as the line speeds were usually lower due to the number of cars being operated.
I guess most of us had quite simple pastimes in our youth; most of which did not cost a vast amount of our parents usually hard earned money. :eek:

Were the notices in the upper deck windows advising of the forthcoming closure? What a superb photo though you get the full feeling of the size and power of the tram.
That's a thought ... the No 6 tram route closed down in 1949 ... perhaps they were queuing to have a ride on the last No 6 tram. I can see a policeman standing by 'Harrolds' shop window !

Were the notices in the upper deck windows advising of the forthcoming closure?
They may well have been - but - there are none in the lower saloon! One presumes there should have been.
Actually, after reference to my small library, I notice that the closure notice posters were larger than those seen in the picture. They were deeper in length and wider. The small posters seen in the picture do appear in other 'photos of tramcars; usually commensurate with a special trip rather than a service car. Route 6 closed at the end of December 1949, the picture does seem to show a quite sunny day for December. But, of course, sun is not unknown in December and when it is it is usually most welcome. :D

Last edited:
OldMohawk - post #2023 is definitely pondering on whether to obey instructions or not 'are you coming in or do you want a smack'? for instance but post #171 has just pulled a filling out with Palm toffee (strawberry flavour, never banana...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back