• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Loxton Street School

Dad remembers the Junction pub (opposite the school?)

The Junction was at the the junction (clue in the name, eh?) of Great Francis Street and Bloomsbury Street. In a bizarre way it was kind of opposite Loxton Junior School in the 1950s, because we used the rooms over the Co-op in Gt Francis Street as an annexe. I remember the trek backwards & forwards to the main school building for assembly, breaktime, PE lessons etc in all weathers when I was in Mr Cummings's class in 1956-57. In the mid-50s The Junction was kept by the Docker family - Jackie was a year behind me at Loxton Juniors (I left in 1957 & went to Central Grammar).

Cheers
Graham

The Junction was at the the junction (clue in the name, eh?) of Great Francis Street and Bloomsbury Street. In a bizarre way it was kind of opposite Loxton Junior School in the 1950s, because we used the rooms over the Co-op in Gt Francis Street as an annexe. I remember the trek backwards & forwards to the main school building for assembly, breaktime, PE lessons etc in all weathers when I was in Mr Cummings's class in 1956-57. In the mid-50s The Junction was kept by the Docker family - Jackie was a year behind me at Loxton Juniors (I left in 1957 & went to Central Grammar).

Cheers
Graham
Hello Graham,me,thinks our path,s must have crossed somewhere along the way.
i was in Mr Cummings class i think it was a class in the main school,but i was in Mr Whites class up the road in the annex above the co-op.
happy days.regards Derek Greaves

Hi,does anyone remember my dad, Philip Haynes? He would have started at Loxton Street School probably around 1955/56. I have been looking for old photo's of the school and surrounding area at that time, to put together a special memories book for dad's 60th birthday next month. If anyone could help me out with this i would be really grateful !

Hi,does anyone remember my dad, Philip Haynes? He would have started at Loxton Street School probably around 1955/56. I have been looking for old photo's of the school and surrounding area at that time, to put together a special memories book for dad's 60th birthday next month. If anyone could help me out with this i would be really grateful !
Hello hp sauce,i,m a former locko boy started in 1953.
either click on search at the top of the page loxton st,
or main sites,and have a look see there i,m sure you will find what you,re
looking for there,s a lot of us on here..
regards dereklcg

Hi my dad went to Loxton Street school in the 1920's and then onto Handsworth Grammar School 1930 onwards. What year did you attend the school?
kate777

My father also went to Loxton Street School; he was born in 1909 so would havebeen there sometime in the '20s.

I wonder if there are pics missing from this thread, I am looking at a post by Shady made May 2009, which is saying there is a photo and names of interest include my surname, my fathers family attended Loxton school, Philip, Kenney, Harold, Peter, Sylvia and possible their younger brother David (quite a bit younger). but if its 1928 as the post may suggest it could be referring to my grandfather Harold, could anyone throw any light on this, or wish to contact my Dad Philip who would love to hear from you

Hi Steve Pugh, I was at school with your young brother David I think. We left Loxton St. in '64 to go to Duddeston Manor Bi-Lateral. We finished in '66. I remember a David Pugh, he had fair hair if I'm remembering correctly. Maybe he might recall some names of classmates,

Chris Husband
Micky Gunn
Les Broadley
Ivor Butler
Johnny Callaghan
Roy Vincent
Graham Hughes
Barry Ibhadullah
Janet Green
Janet Marsden
June Ravenscroft
Linda Baker
Linda Taylor
Aneka Blake

There are several others of course but my photographic memory has gone all sepia at the moment.

i remember mr walker he was my teacher in class 1a in the first year i was at loxton street, that would be around 1946, he was a music teacher i believe, (been so long ago,) he played piano and mr martin played violin. he was also a woodwork teacher

Dont recall Mr. Walker, but do remember Mr. Martin and his violin. He used to play it sometimes at assembly. Glad you joined the forum Alexander, and if you go to the top of the page, and type in Loxton Street in the Advanced Search box, you will find other links for Locco.

I remember Mr Martin too BazzM. He was never adverse to throwing the occasional chisel about the place as I remember. I can still smell that old glue-pot he had on the go all the time.

Don't take this wrong, but, I am quite overwhelmed that there are people on this site that went to school in the 30's. Even more, I have great respect that you and anyone else from the 30's use a computer. Sorry, if this sounds condescending, I don't mean it that way. My mother's in her late 70's and is not at all technical minded. Good on ya'.
GER22VAN and all you other old Loxtonians: I feel so lonely...! Whenever I read posts about Locko, they seem to be always directed at old schoolmates who attended the school around the Fifties...!

Isn't there anyone there who went to Locko at the same time as I did: from 1939 to 1942?

I know Peter Walker sympathises with the same "time" factor that I have - but then, his dad was one of my teachers.

Are there any of my old classmates knocking about in Heartlands? Where are you Colin Cotterill; "Nipper" Billington; Donald Green; Gerald De Roche; Ron Kingett; Georgie Baker, "Tucker Parrish, "Mousy" Heesom, etc.etc.?

Or are you all - like me - too ancient to believe that any of us are still in existence...?

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)

my name is frank smith, i went to loxton street in 1946 to 1950, does anyone remember me, some classmates names are, albert taroni, david taylor, arthur chinock, frankie thomas, johnny king, austin herbert, ray cridge, these were class 4a, mr simkins class i think

Fashionz it was a male teacher thing yes but, only because it was only male teachers in the woodwork room, in those far off days.

went to Loxton,infant ,junior and senior school, i started in about 1957 until it closed. I still have memories of the school and the smells. I can see the wooden hut in the playground the kitchens at the bottom of the yard.
I remember Mr White, Miss Jones,Miss Ford,Mr Cummings,Harold Martin the woodwork teacher,Mr Pullen [a great bloke] and Mr Parker head of senior school,Miss Newis head of Junior and infant school.
I also remember that tragic accident, it happened in the car park of south tower while i was there with my mum, i was whisked away promptly, it turned out that a teacher had sent him out for ciggies. i remember all this as if it were yesterday

Hello goitre2002.
i can relate to everything you,ve wrote,
i started infants there in 1953,and i remember the accident aross the road.
sad ,sad day.regards dereklcg

Hello there goitre2002. I too remember a lot of what you put, but not it all. I was there from 1954 till it shut in 1964. I used to live in Queens Tower. Glad you've managed to join us. If you have any more recollections about Locco, please post them for the rest of us to share. And by the way. WELCOME.

Derek. Over the years of being on this site, I have gained a couple of pictures of Locco. But the one you posted for our new member, is a new one on me. I have never seen this one before. Its fantastic. Thanks.

Hi Bazz i,m honored, for that.
you living as close to locco as you did, to find something new.
i can,t remember where i got it, but it is a grt picture.
regards Derek.

I attended Loxton Street up until it was demolished in 1964. Does anyone remember me, Graham Packer. The final year we had Mr. White as teacher and we won the Saltley Shield (Cricket) two days before the school closed for good. Mrs newis (Headmistress) was so proud. Good old days 9I sound like my Dad (George Packer now 89 and still going strong). Great website. Thanks for the memories. P.S. I remember Barry Morley vividly..

Hello Graham, A very long time since we last saw each other, I'm in the photo, have just been made aware of this site. Some of the names you missed, Lenny Heath, Dennis Hodgkinson, Brian Insley, Elaine Preece or Proctor, Sidney Manton, Robert Symes, and too make it more confusing their were 2 John Smith's, back row and front row. Not 100% sure this is the right way round, back row J.K.Smith, front row J.E.Smith.
At least i've read it.
4th left back row.
Should have included your list, the photo is the one with Mr.Cummings in it.

i wish that i could find someone on here that went to loxton st school between 1945 and 1950, i remember the headmaster mr hartshorne, mr walker, mr dash, mr maltby, mr meres, mr wright, mr martin, mr rome and mr webster, i knew the taronis who lived in willis street and albert taroni sat next to me in class,

Back