• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

As you might guess tracing all the names starting with JO located in Birmingham 7 in a trade directory is like trying to trace all the names starting SM ,. But this is what I have done with a Kelly's 1950 those that in my opinion from personal knowledge don’t fit in with the criteria of the photo. I have marked with a red X if you think I am in error please say so. Those that I don’t know about or am not sure of I have left to others. If you think you know a road that looked like the road in the photo that had a junction with any of these street, please put it up for scrutiny.

Phil

Johnson Willis St
Johnson Alice Devon St
Johnson's Coffee Rooms long Acre
Johnson Samuel Cromwell St
Johnson Sarah Devon St
Jones Railway Wagon Repairs Spooner St
Jones Williams Coffee Rooms Saltley Rd
Jones Dorothy Great Lister St X
Jones Eliz Furniture Great Lister St X
Jones Eliz Devon St
Jones Evelyn Long Acre
Jones George Railway Terrace
Jones Ernest Heneage St X
Jones Louisa Great Lister St
Jones Maud Long Acre
Jordan Nechells Park Rd
Josephine's Great Francis St X
Joyner Ashted Row. X

Phil,
I was going along those lines, but only have kellys for 1943 and 1905 plus PO directory for 1867.
I think it is a firm other than a shop judging by the size of the fascia,and only a short name with that size letter, if it was the railway carriage works in your list, the fascia would be about 75 ft. long,but still a possibility.
I don' think anyone is going to get this, but there again you never know.

Phil
With regard to biulding the baths on the corner of Francis St, it was between 1921 and 1932. 1921 doesn't list buildings that side of corner. Also Kellys isn't available on disc for the period 1922-31, unfortunately. If it was i'd have snapped it up by now. as it is a big gap.
mike

Hello John glad you did,nt get run over.
I to was an A B C minor and watched the same films as you and more,what days we had,
some bad but mostly good,we did,nt know any different then.
regards Derek.. PS look at my album on here..

John Do you think the building is 2 storey the photo is a bit hazy at that end. I don,t believe it was the Railway Wagon Repairs in Spooner St our house was right at the end of this St i walked up there a 1000 times to the bus stop by the Co-Op. Phil iv,e thought of somewhere but it,s just a guess.How about Goodrick St looking down from Nechells Green that could be the Station on the end The factory building could be on Saltley Rd just before the bridge it would have to be very early 50s. Of the people you listed to me the only one that fits the bill is the furniture in Gt Lister St THIS IS JUST PIE IN SKY . Dek

Has anyone got any photographs of duke street police station. i have seen the ones on site also any photographs of gem st, duke street
many thanks
AstonB4

Hi ger22van.
do you remember forever ago we were speaking of
the wine shop in grt lister st with sandieman port in the window? don,t know if you have seen this photo before it,s on Carl Chinns site?
hope you,re well and i see the site for the places we knew and loved Nechells is still doing well.
regards dereklcg

DERICK. I am ok, hope you are also well. That photo you posted is new to me, I still look out for new postings of interest. I don't seem to get about quite so much as I used to, I guess it will now be in six months time when the warmer weather returns.

Keep yourself wrapped up Ernie,
soon be summer,
be interesting to know what dek carr thinks he,s sent?
regards Derek..

Derek Sorry I,m Still trying to sort out how to put me photo of Bloomsbury St on the thread it keeps telling me it,s failed to load.Dek

hi plil
i messed with that photo and after about an hour that sign did not look like jo so i will attach it and you all can see what you think.
Looks to me like SOD
I cant seem to attach it i ll send it to phil he has the knowledge .
colin

hi all...i havnt come accross this one before but apologies if its already been posted...

gt francis street...

pic courtesy of carl chinn

hi why cant i attacvh a picture it asks me for a url please help as i only want send it from my laptop.
HHHEEELLLPPP
colin

Thanks Lyn got my first job opposite there for Harris coal merchants sticking stamps on the bills Mon-Fri 1 hour a night 5 bob a week i was only 13 but i was rich at 14 i matured and started loading the coal lorries 1£ a lorry i was very rich then but very tired then i left school and got a proper job 35 bob a week for 6 days work but it was a trade and that mattered.Dek

Come on Ernie and Mw i,d love to see that photo.
it,s raining here now how did we manage all those years ago,when the brew house roof leaked in the bad weather,it was our submarine rocket ship battleship
and anything else we chose.
happy days regards Derek..

View attachment 10785 View attachment 10802
My Treasured Photograph! My Gran's house at the bottom of the yard.
No prizes for guessing who that little kid is at the bottom of the yard. When I first saw this Photograph I could see that I buttoned up my coat in the wrong button holes, it all came back to me.
This is 13 court Coleman Street taken around 1943 or 4.
View attachment 10826and view of the Brew-us.
hello, i havent posted before, only joined this site yesterday. I saw your pictures of Coleman St and i wondered if you could remember the Weston family. Albert Weston, my dad, was born at 38 Coleman St in 1927, he lived with his grandad Charles Weston and his wife Mary Ann, who had about six other children of thier own, all girls. Thanks for the picture , ive never seen a picture of the old Coleman St before.

hi trueblue and welcome to the forum..it may take you some time to go through all the pages of this thread but may be worthwhile as there could be other pics of coleman st that have been posted..

lyn

Welcome trueblue i come from Erskine St ther,s quite a few Vauxhall and Duddeston guys on this forum just put some of your memories up i,m sure you,ll get a reaction quite a lot of them went to Loxton St School. Dek P.S. i assume buy your handle your a blue nose, I also have my faults He --He

Hello and welcome Trueblue,
i am a former locko pupil
i come from Cromwell st. nechells b7
i,m sure you,ll find it here.
regards dereklcg

TRUEBLUE. I have been searching for another photograph of Coleman Street and you will find it posted on April 22 nd 2008 post number 193.
As far as my memory serves me Westons had a shop in Coleman Street just off the end of this photo , hope my memory serves me in saying it is listed as a Dairy shop. Please can someone verify this from a Kelly's 1940's Trade List ?

LYN. Have not seen that photograph before, its amazing how these old photographs keep turning up. I am so pleased to see them.

hi ernie...there is no secret to my posting some of pics...i keep banging on about carl chinns birminham lives site...anyone can view them...and there is a search box like you can type in the locations you are looking for.... its constantly updating and as far as i am aware the aim is for carl to eventually get all his thousands of archive pics put on..im always on it looking for pics of interest and the 3 test pics on the home page change every few mins....

lyn

mikejee. Thank you for your post.
Trueblue. Our address was 13 court 5 house but was also down as
5 back 34, so you can see we were a very short distance from Weston's
shop at 38. I must have seen them almost every other day but time has erased a lot of my memory I am sorry to say, sounds daft but I seem to remember my first eccles cakes bought from the shop, as you walked in the front door the counter was on the right.
Lyn. I shall have to look at Carl Chinn's Birmingham Lives web site, thanks for the info.

you are very welcome ernie...can i just point out that carl does not mind any of the pics on his site being posted on here(now thats what i call sharing) all he asks is we put pic courtesty of carl chinn whichis fair enough..hope you enjoy the site...

lyn

No 38 Coleman St is listed in 1940 as Mrs Mary Ann Weston, dairy
Mike
Thanks Mike for the info,Mary Ann Weston was my great grandmother, unfortunately she died before i was born but i still remember her husband Charles Weston, he lived into his nineties and we used to visit him on a Sunday morning, he was almost blind then and he died when i was about ten. He never worked in the shop though, he spent 45 years as a goods porter on the railways, mainly in Curzon St station . Albert Weston , my father was born above the shop at no 38. Unfortunately he passed away in 1989 but my mother still remembers it all , she was born in Darwin St.

TRUEBLUE. I have been searching for another photograph of Coleman Street and you will find it posted on April 22 nd 2008 post number 193.
As far as my memory serves me Westons had a shop in Coleman Street just off the end of this photo , hope my memory serves me in saying it is listed as a Dairy shop. Please can someone verify this from a Kelly's 1940's Trade List ?
Thankyou Ger22, i'll try and find that photo and if you can remember anything else about the Westons that would be great

hello, i havent posted before, only joined this site yesterday. I saw your pictures of Coleman St and i wondered if you could remember the Weston family. Albert Weston, my dad, was born at 38 Coleman St in 1927, he lived with his grandad Charles Weston and his wife Mary Ann, who had about six other children of thier own, all girls. Thanks for the picture , ive never seen a picture of the old Coleman St before.

Hi True Blue
I saw this and wondered if we have connection here I have been looking for so long for some Birmingham ham Westons and I wonder if you can help me . My Grans half sisters and Brothers Mary, Joe, Gerty, Nellie(Ellen),Sam, lucy , and Joan born 1913 to1928 . They were children of Joseph Weston born in 1880 .
There is a tale in the family that we had a bare fist fighter they called Chaney Weston who was a champion. I am sure some where there is a connection
Electoral rolls for 5, court 10, Vaughton Street give :
1920, Weston, Joseph and Weston, Annie Florence:
1925 and 1930, Weston, Joseph and Weston, Annie Louisa Florence:
It makes you wonder . Its just on the offchance

Best wishes Jean

Back