• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gosta Green Through Duddeston

hi guys..i sent phils pic off with no caption on it and my friend with new technical equipment reckons the street sign looks like it says lupin st...

cheers

lyn

Hello Lyn,
Would be very interested to find out what that equipment is, I have pretty well all the photo manipulation software, and did come close to getting Lupin St. with one, but wasn't sure if my mind was telling me to read it as such, so dismissed it.
Will be interesting to find out won't it.
Phil said he has got other photos of a like kind, let's have them Phil-always up for a challenge.
Regards John.

hi john..there was also a proberts grocery and provisions in spring hill although by a different initial...will ask what equipment..it may well be the same as yours...

oh please dont ask phil for another on..we aint put this one to bed yet...lol..

lyn

Lyn

I'm willing to accept what your friend says, but our local resident expert who lived in Lupin Street Ernie says he doesn't recognise the shop. I would have to put human memory before a machine anytime.

Well that is anyone else's memory except mine because there's more holes in mine than in Lisa's bucket.

John

I'll have a look but I'll have to start another thread if I come up with something.

Phil

who is lisa phil..lol...ok mabye me friend is wrong then....but i did send the pic to him with no caption or clues....but i would also have thought ernie would have remembered a corner shop so who knows...can we have an easier one next time please...thank you

lyn....

Lyn

There's a hole in my bucket dear Lisa, a hole! Recorded in 1961 by Harry Belafonte and Odetta.

Phil

ahh i get you now phil...by the way me friends just sent a message to say hes had another go at your pic and hes convinced the street sign says lupin street....onward and upwards...

lyn

SO MEND IT DEAR HENRY DEAR HENRY DEAR HENRY..SO MEND IT DEAR HENRY..DEAR HENRY MEND IT...LOL..SOMETHING LIKE THAT..

just a little bit of usless info here re this pic i posted...

it was no 118 willis st..and during the years 1933 to 1942 it was owned by a mrs emily mary pine....

lyn

Astoness. If it says Lupin Street and was on the corner of Willis Street its where I understood the man refused to go to the air raid shelter and the shop received a direct hit during the second world war.

"There's a hole in my bucket dear LIZA!"

Hi shavedfish

Whats the difference Lisa or Liza from what I can remember of the record she was a right nag and know all, and wouldn't give the poor bloke a moments rest no matter what excuse he came up with.

Phil

The Plot thickens, If this shop was on the corner of Willis St and Lupin St Where is St Mathews And Where Are the Mature trees In front of it as seen on a previous photo by Lyn also the st. appears to go uphill if any thing Willis St ran very slightly down hill to Gt Lister St. as i remember maybe i,m looking at the picture in the wrong direction. As Toyia Wilcox would say :ITS A MYSTERY:Dek.

Compare Phil's original picture and Lyn's picture of the converted shop on Lupin/Willis St, look at the houses on the left of the pictures. In Phil's pic the front doors are next to each other, on Lyn's they are seperated by a window. It can't be Willis St/Lupin St.

Macca

macca in the first pic if the houses were still there do you think the church would be obscured by them....ive noticed the chimneys dont look right either...this is a good but it must be frustrating..especally for those of you who know the area so well...

lyn

Macca. The first pic is of a Fish and Chip shop that I remember of the 1940-50s at the corner of Lupin Street and Willis Street, the second one ( which I cannot enlarge ) Checking post 1536 it looks a different shop to the second photograph.

As far as I see it none of the shops on any of Lupin Street's corners could have been the right ones.

If it were No 1 you would have seen the school only 3 houses away in Lupin St.

If it were No 2 you would have seen the church also as shown by photograph it is a different building.

If it were No 3 according to the map there is an open area next to the shop in Lupin St and another three doors away in Willis St.

If it was No 4 which is in Lupin St the map is showing an open area next to the shop in Willis St.

Anybody Agree or disagree.

Once again thanks to Mikejee for the use of one of his maps.

Phil

Attachments

• Birmingham Duddeston 1913,  - Copy.jpg
    Birmingham Duddeston 1913, - Copy.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 7
Phil As a local lad i agree with you it,s not Lupin st.Im still looking at the house maps of ST James St counting the upstairs windows on the photo up to the white house there are ten i assume this is five houses this matches up with the map what does the different colour houses mean on the map. when you look at the map of Franicis St it doesn,t show the different colour house I only wish i could remember things more clearly.Dek

Phil,
After driving myself nearly barmy all day going through books, maps and photos I came to that conclusion myself about 4.30 today.
John.

Lyn

In reality I have to agree we are no closer now than when we started. In my opinion its the corner of my old road Francis St, but opinion and proof are not the same thing.

My plan now is to find out when the houses on the corner were demolished and the public baths were built, and then find out who owned the shop o the corner just prior to that.

Phil

Phil
Dont know if your've got a map of the wiilis st/francis st corner, but, if not, here it is
mike

hi phil..i cant beleive you have posted a pic that you dont know where it is...lol...would it be any help if i searched for pics of francis st then...

lyn

Mike

The more I look at that map the more I become convinced that it's the corner of Francis St before the baths were built. The bock of four darker houses in Francis St and two in Willis St combined with the shop match up.

I knew three people that lived in that Court fronted by the block of lighter coloured houses and they match completely. The top left hand corner was the Garbetts, the bottom left hand corner was the Dove's and the bottom right hand corner was the Horton's.

I don't suppose you have a copy of the same map after the baths were built do you?

Phil

phil..is francis st and gt francis st two different streets....????? got loads of gt francis st...

Lyn

I would be glad of any picture of Francis St you could find as they are very thin on the ground. The only ones I have ever found are before I was born and parts that were demolished before I was born.

The nearest I have ever found was an outdoor that was three doors away from where I lived. I wouldn't mind any of Inkerman St as well. I have only got one of that street and thats blurred.

Phil

hi phil..like i said i can get loads of gt francis st buts thats no good is it....i will search for francis st for you...ive got one of little francis st too....crikey they liked the name francis didnt they....

Lyn

Same here loads of Great Francis St, Little Francis St but very little of Francis St.

Phil

phil..i am going to start going through all me old brummagem mags and the old papers i have....you never know...

lyn

Back