• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Searching for my Uncle's grave.

anner

master brummie
My Uncle, an Irish emigrant, died in Bermingham in the 1980's but I'm having no success in locating his grave. I have been directed to the cremation of a man of the same name in 1983, but this cannot be him as he was not a Widower, having a Wife and daughter still living. There doesn't seem to be any other candidate name for the whole of the 80's buried in the Catholic tradition. I would be so grateful for any help locating John Ready, b 1911 and who died in the 1980's, exact date unknown as my Parents are deceased, I have no other source of information. This is very long I know, but am hoping for some direction to take! He worked in local public transport, and was retired when he died. I have contacted the official Catholic agency in Birmingham who led me to the individual who cannot be him so am hoping for other means or leads here?
Thank you,
Anne

My Uncle, an Irish emigrant, died in Bermingham in the 1980's but I'm having no success in locating his grave. I have been directed to the cremation of a man of the same name in 1983, but this cannot be him as he was not a Widower, having a Wife and daughter still living. There doesn't seem to be any other candidate name for the whole of the 80's buried in the Catholic tradition. I would be so grateful for any help locating John Ready, b 1911 and who died in the 1980's, exact date unknown as my Parents are deceased, I have no other source of information. This is very long I know, but am hoping for some direction to take! He worked in local public transport, and was retired when he died. I have contacted the official Catholic agency in Birmingham who led me to the individual who cannot be him so am hoping for other means or leads here?
Thank you,
Anne
Maybe this will help. I just happen to be looking at the Birmingham burial site myself for the first time this morning. Good luck.IMG_2605.jpg

Seems that it is actually the same person I was directed to before, but truly do appreciate the help. Am wondering if there are any other sources of information I could go to, that are not obvious and might be less easily accessed?

Wow, thank you! He was born in August, the date is slightly off but am positive about these links, thank you!

There is John Ready born 2th August 1911 died bet Jan - Mar 1983 in Solihull. Source https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

The death would have been registered in Warwickshire see https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVZQ-1NXD

I don't know much about Catholic Burials but there are no doubt forum members who do.
Have tried both links but they just come back 'no match', so I must be doing something wrong? Is there a method I should be using, am stumped!

Hi Again. First - slight typo - birth should have read 5th August!

From Free BMD​

District Information​

Surname Given Name DOB District Volume Page

Deaths Mar 1983​

READYJOHN5AU1911SOLIHULL S3476
The district SOLIHULL S is an alternative name for Solihull South and it is in the county of West Midlands; information about it can be found here

From Family Search (you probably have to be registered for this one)
NameJohn Ready
Event Date1983
Event PlaceWarwickshire, England, United Kingdom
Event PlaceWarwickshire
Event TypeDeath Registration
Birth Date5 Aug 1911
Page0076
Volume34
Affiliate Line Number117

Hi Again. First - slight typo - birth should have read 5th August!

From Free BMD​

District Information​

Deaths Mar 1983​

SurnameGiven NameDOBDistrictVolumePage
READYJOHN5AU1911SOLIHULL S3476
The district SOLIHULL S is an alternative name for Solihull South and it is in the county of West Midlands; information about it can be found here

From Family Search (you probably have to be registered for this one)
NameJohn Ready
Event Date1983
Event PlaceWarwickshire, England, United Kingdom
Event PlaceWarwickshire
Event TypeDeath Registration
Birth Date5 Aug 1911
Page0076
Volume34
Affiliate Line Number117
Yes, that's him, birth date 5th August, 1911 thank you so much, you are a genius!

i can only find one death for a john ready b 1911 which is the one at sutton crem...do you have his death certificate..what makes you think he was definately buried and do you know when he came to birmingham sorry for all the questions but the more info you can give may help...also do you know his parents names

lyn

Last edited:
A Solihull death could mean burial or cremation at Robin Hood crematorium. Most Catholic burials have taken place there until recently. If, however, his late wife was a Catholic and died much earlier in Solihull they might have been buried at Olton Friary.

I have contacted the official Catholic agency in Birmingham who led me to the individual who cannot be him so am hoping for other means or leads here?
Thank you,
Anne
In the 1980s and to the present day most Catholic burials would be in council graveyards. The few RC churches with burial areas would be full so St Chad's would be unlikely to have records.

i can only find one death for a john ready b 1911 which is the one at sutton crem...do you have his death certificate..what makes you think he was definately buried and do you know when he came to birmingham sorry for all the questions but the more info you can give may help...also do you know his parents names

lyn
No problem, good questions!
No, no death certificate and am not sure when he emigrated but would be around the 50's at a guess. Irish Catholics would not opt for cremation as Jansonism was a very strict form of Catholicism. My parents, also, were at the funeral and no mention if cremation was made, but my Mother did notice how red the soil of Birmingham was. I am gathering from all this that he was not cremated
And sorry for the long answer!

lyn
Yes, me too! I find it baffling since my Uncke was definitely not a Widower, incidently his wife died some years later and I can find no trace of either her or my Cousin, their daughter!

We, as a family, have been searching for my Cousin for years, joined all kinds of ancestry sites with absolutely zero results. I often wondered if she'd changed her name!

We, as a family, have been searching for my Cousin for years, joined all kinds of ancestry sites with absolutely zero results. I often wondered if she'd changed her name!
do you know when kitty and maureen died..kitty could have been short for something else

lyn

Kitty was probably Katherine (or Catherine or Kathryn)
1960 eroll has a Catherine and John Ready at 3 Yew Tree Lane

Last edited:
cheaper and quicker to have it pdf (£7) and you get it as an e file to download.
From the GRO site: PDF copies of the entry are only available for the digitised entries for the years 1837-1957 and where a GRO reference is supplied, which you can find using the GRO Online Historical Indexes.

Yes, me too! I find it baffling since my Uncke was definitely not a Widower, incidently his wife died some years later and I can find no trace of either her or my Cousin, their daughter!
Sorry Lyn, I missed the second part of your comment, his father's name was Michael Ready, carpenter, and his Mother's name was Margaret Lawless. He died in 1932 and she, Margaret Reidy, in 1942.

do you know when kitty and maureen died..kitty could have been short for something else

lyn
Kitty/ Catherine, no idea when she died, but as far as I know Maureen is still alive. Maureen was born around 1957 and would be around my sisters age.

Back