• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Zeppelin Over Birmingham

RobertS

master brummie
My father said he was carried out into the street by his Mother to see a Zeplin over the the city, very close to the start of WW1 or during it. It would have been over Edward or Moseley Road Basall Heath.

I can't find any reference to the event.

Does anyone know if Birmingham was 'over flown'?

My mother saw Zepelins over Birmingham (she was 11 at the time) and lived in Hockley. I asked her what people did/reacted---she said many people came out to look and were not over worried more curious. She described how large it seemed. She said there were bombs dropped in Walsall area. She had a very good memory and relayed the story many times from my childhood after WW11 until she passed away when she was 100. Ironically one of her brothers was in the FRC in France.

If I remember rightly, a Zeppelin dropped a bomb and it exploded in Shirley. I can remember seeing a postcard of a soldier and a policeman looking at the small crater it made, which I think now is in Shirley Golf Club. Also, perhaps, the same Zeppelin, caused Lady Cadbury's pet monkey to die of fright !! and shrapnel from a bomb dropped over Walsall, mortally wounded the Lady Mayoress of the town.

Terry

Re: Zeppelin over Birmingham

Thanks Mikejee and DJVST.

Its good to hear that there is another eyewitness account of people coming out to watch.

L19 looks like the most likeley candidate (unless there were others!). Its interesting that both L21 and L19 were on Bombing raids and looking for Liverpool and Birkenhead. If it was clear enough for them to be watched by the population of Birmingham they must have been able to see the size of the place and the obvious industry.

Wonder why they didn't bomb Birmingham rather than the smaller towns in the Black Country?

Re: Zeppelin over Birmingham

Thanks Terry

The tale gets more interesting. Shirley would have been fairly rural at the time, what could have attracted attention. I will keep my eye open for a Shirley reference (and a copy of the postcard).

Without wishing to move off the Shirley aspect but just to add to Terry's comment, I seem to recall there is a plaque on a wall in Bradford Street in Walsall which mentions the death of the Lady Mayoress in the Zeppelin raid. I think it is perhaps the Jerome K Jerome building or close by. As RobertS says it would be interesting to know why they would target Shirley unless it was perhaps accidental

Bob

Back