• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

yates and sons

• Thread starter Thread starter leelou
  • Start date Start date
L

leelou

Hi
Just found out that many buildings in Pritchett Street are very old. I'm trying to find the address and information on Yates and Sons who made silverware, particularly spoons. Many of my ancestors were spoon polishers who lived near this factory, so we are guessing that is where they worked.:)
leelou

56 Pritchett street electro platers
at 57/half was another Yates coffin furniture and just a bit away in Coleshill street Yates spoon maker
Kelly's circa 1900
the top two where next door to each other

Yates & Son

That's interesting John and Leelou, my grandmother was a Yates and her occupation on the 1891 census was spoon & fork polisher. The family were living in Manchester Street just round the corner from Pritchett Street. I don't know any connection to the Yates who owned the business though.

Yates & Son

In a very interesting article by Carl Chinn in today's Birmingham Mail, he mentions that Yates Street in Aston which ran between Aston Road North and Thomas Street was named after a local politican who fought determinedly for for Aston's independence (from Birmingham) in the late 19th century.

R.P. Yates belonged to the family of John Yates & Co., edge tool makers of Pritchett Street and Rocky Lane. It was one of the biggest employers locally.

How interesting my gt gt grandfather was Richard Thomas Yates his occupation was machinist he lived in Leonard Street. His son my gt grandfather Arthur Yates was a machinist toolmaker he lived in Carlyle Road.

Re: Yates & Son

Hi Sylvia, I note that this is a very old post but also note you are still contributing to the forum. My great grandmother was also a spoon and fork polisher who lived in Manchester Street. Her name was Annie Donoughue according to my granddad's birth certificate. I can not find any info at all on her past my grandfather's birth cert. Do you have any other pertinent data for the local companies or anything on Manchester Street which may help my search?

That's interesting John and Leelou, my grandmother was a Yates and her occupation on the 1891 census was spoon & fork polisher. The family were living in Manchester Street just round the corner from Pritchett Street. I don't know any connection to the Yates who owned the business though.

Hi Steve, I'm sorry but I can't help you further,the only thing I can add in case you are not aware, is that Manchester Street ran off 79 Newtown Row.

Back