• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley - Vera Road

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1930's.

Ian.

Are these photos the same incident? Might sound a silly question but in the second photo, the house on the right looks like a detached property (judging by the roof line) but in the first picture it looks as if the buidling next door is a set of semi's.

I think the numbers of the houses demolished are now numbers 19 and 21.

Looking at the detatched house, the bricks above the door don't quite meet, number 23 has the same pattern. Also the two houses to the right, numbers 15 and 17 have a different window design.

I am sure there will be someone on the forum who may remember the incident and know exactly which houses were demolished.

These would seem to be two incidents. I lived in Vera Road during the 1980's & 90's and found a bungalow now built after one of the bombings. But the first picture does not make sense and we cannot place it. Much help needed here.

Len, The first photo was taken the next morning opposite my friends house, the house nos were 15, 17 and 19 which had to be pulled down brick by brick because it had moved on it's damp course.That house was the one on the left,no 19 which was the only detached house in the road.As a kid I helped Mr Reeves, removing a lot of the bricks which us lads tacked in piles. I lived in the next road, which was Patrick rd.
The other photo was taken in Patrick rd which was opposite us but four houses down, I have seen this photo before because my Grandfather is in the picture, the B'ham Mail took the photo's. My friend Dave sent me the description. Len.

Last edited:
Thanks Len, Do you know the house number in Vera Road that your friend lived. I lived at No 12 to which my daughter now lives. Many many thanks for your clear explanation, which has had us stumped for a long time
Derek

Len, the person on the forum who's name is Derek lived at No 12, my great friend and who still is lived at No 18 up until 1958.The bricklayer was Mr Fretter who rebuilt No 19 lived at No 10 Vera Rd He had two sons Ronald and Alan I wonder if this gentleman was living in Vera Rd between 1936-1959 when I married and left Patrick Rd. Dave. Another very good piece of info from my friend Dave, Thank You, on behalf of the interested Forum Members. Len.

My mother lived at number 20 and remembers the houses opposite being bombed. They were just going up to bed, thinking the all clear had sounded, when the bomb went off. They were amazed when they looked out and saw the houses had gone. The occupants of both houses were out so there were no injuries. The photograph looks like it was taken from the bungalow next door,

Back