• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Yardley Cemetery

McGraw

Brummie babby
Would anyone be able to take a photo of a headstone for me? The grave is for a Matilda Jackson, died 22 Jul 1951. She is buried in Yardley Cemetery, section 61, grave no. 70113. I'd love to see what the inscription says.
Yardley Cemetery have also given me the deed number of the grave & I'd like to know who I could contact to get details of when the grave was purchased & by whom?

Many thanks,
McGraw

Would anyone be able to take a photo of a headstone for me? The grave is for a Matilda Jackson, died 22 Jul 1951. She is buried in Yardley Cemetery, section 61, grave no. 70113. I'd love to see what the inscription says.
Yardley Cemetery have also given me the deed number of the grave & I'd like to know who I could contact to get details of when the grave was purchased & by whom?

Many thanks,
McGraw
Type in search Yardley Cemetery plenty of help you will find. Len.

Lencops thanks for that, will look up a grave which we have just discovered deeds for on my moms side of the family.
Mcgraw, good luck with your search.
Sue

Thanks Lencops & Sue. I had a look at posts for Yardley cem. & saw one which said you can pay for look ups to find details about a grave. Sorry I've never done this before. Do I contact the cemetery about this & is it expensive? Can anyone help please??
McGraw

Thanks Sue. I had already contacted the cemetery & am awaiting a reply. I was really hoping someone could tell me what was on the headstone as I know the cemetery doesn't have this on file. They said I'd have to visit either grave/library which is impossible due to the distance.
If anyone is visiting Yardley cemetery would they please be kind enough to let me know what is on the headstone.

Thanks,
McGraw

Thanks Sue. I had already contacted the cemetery & am awaiting a reply. I was really hoping someone could tell me what was on the headstone as I know the cemetery doesn't have this on file. They said I'd have to visit either grave/library which is impossible due to the distance.
If anyone is visiting Yardley cemetery would they please be kind enough to let me know what is on the headstone.

Thanks,
McGraw

Mcgraw will have a look today Dave

Hi McGraw, I had a funeral to attend in Yardley today, so took my camera to take pics, but now see dave is sending some privately to you.

Staff in the office said she had had an email from Australia, and had just been and checked the grave and was emailing you direct with the wording - what a coincidence!

There are some failry fresh flowers on the grave, but not much of an inscription.

Can post pics on here if you like?

Brian

Hi McGraw, I had a funeral to attend in Yardley today, so took my camera to take pics, but now see dave is sending some privately to you.

Staff in the office said she had had an email from Australia, and had just been and checked the grave and was emailing you direct with the wording - what a coincidence!

There are some failry fresh flowers on the grave, but not much of an inscription.

Can post pics on here if you like?

Brian

Pics ready to email, Flowers placed on Monday

This is how Cemetery Friends groups get started!
I thought about cleaning the stones a bit, but had taken my bucket, brush & fairy liquid out of the car with my shovel etc, as I didn't want to be at the funeral in my gravedigging kiT!

Wish I had left it in now - could have added to your tidy up.

I'm sure McGraw will appreciate the nice touch.

how kind of you dave...so thoughtful im sure your efforts will be appreciated...

lyn

What fabulous people we have on this forum. My hats off to all concerned with the help they are giving to McGraw. Isnt this the most friendly site ever. ???

Sorry for the delay in replying but I'd just like to say a massive thank you to everyone who has helped in my quest. I'm so delighted with the flowers & cleaning of the stone Dave. What fantastic people you all are!!

I now know who bought the grave & when the stone was placed there, but don't know who got it placed there so many years after her death. Another mystery!!!
Anyone know how I could find this out?

McGraw

well done dave for making a great start on this grave..its so very kind of you...

thanks bri for the pics..

lyn

Sorry to go off-thread, but does anyone know if the florist's shop by the main entrance to the Cemetery is still there? It used to be owned by the parents of Jane Cooke, a friend of mine back in the 1960's.

Thanks,

Big Gee

Gave the nameplate a bit of a clean up this morning - it's not dirt, it;s quite nice Lichen, which they do not like you getting rid off if possible.
Have cleaned up enough to make name clearer.

PC does not want to upload pic at present, so will try again in a bit

Sorry to go off-thread, but does anyone know if the florist's shop by the main entrance to the Cemetery is still there? It used to be owned by the parents of Jane Cooke, a friend of mine back in the 1960's.

Thanks,

Big Gee

Big Gee. if you're talking about the one by the Stockfield Rd entrance, I think it's a Chinese Take away now.
Nick

Gave the nameplate a bit of a clean up this morning - it's not dirt, it;s quite nice Lichen, which they do not like you getting rid off if possible.
Have cleaned up enough to make name clearer.

PC does not want to upload pic at present, so will try again in a bit

Brian you did excellent, will email more pics after your good clean up :):)

Back