• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WWI Memorials in and around Balsall Heath

ladyflippers

Brummie babby
Hello all,

I am trying to find a WWI memorial with my great grandads name on. He was Pte Samuel Wilkes of Clevedon Road, Balsall Heath who died in battle on 20/09/1918. I took at drive around Balsall Heath / Moseley / Highgate last Sunday with the hope of finding it but no joy.

I can't say for sure that I found every church in those areas but I certainly checked out a few and only found one memorial and that was at St Annes in Moseley.

Any suggestions where I might look next?

Regards
Jen

Hi Jen

Have you tried The Hall of Memory Broad St,

https://www.hallofmemory.co.uk/

The trouble with most of Balsall Heath and the surrounding areas including the churches & memorials have disappeared under the developers hammer.

Phil

Hi Colin,

Sorry I should have said that I was aware of his war grave, I was just wondering if he was remembered a little closer to home. Am I right in thinking this is probable?

Regards
Jen

Jen

Just one other thing, the nearest church would have been St Thomas in the Moors, at the junction of Celevdeon Rd. Lincoln St and Cox St West. This church was demolished in the early 60's I believe, but all the records were held by Moseley Sta Anne's Ecclesiastical Parish. So if you tried getting in touch with them they may know something about a memorial.

Phil

As a lad I remember the Roll of Honour to the War Dead in every school I attended which was old enough to have one. These Rolls were to be seen everwhere...Shops ,Offices, Factories. So many have been demolished. I wonder how many were saved ?

Back