• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 war record

VINCE

Brummie babby
Hi can anyone help me find my granddads war records, Frederick Coates born 1888 Aston, joined army before the war, was shot in the leg maybe at the Somme, I was told he may have been a machine gunner. His father was Daniel. :05.18-flustered:

hi vince had a look on find my past for you and i can only find the service records for a frederick coates born born 1886 address church lane aston...next of kin is his mother whos maiden name was bird...he joined in 1904 the worcs regiment..he was single and worked at a rubber works in aston cross...not sure if this is your frederick so maybe someone else can check ancestry as well

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you Lyn (Astoness) he was from Church Lane and his mother was Fanny Coates (Beecroft) she married again after Daniel died aged 35, too a Mr Henry Bird. so you must have the right man, thank you. So a Worcester regiment 1904. Thanks Lyn.

hi vince looking at the records there are only a few pages of records for him but i can double check on that if you dont have access to either ancestry or find my past so that you can read them for yourself i am quite happy to email them to you....and of course you will be able to see the actual signature of your grandad on the date he enlisted which i always find fascinating...if you would like me to do this could you send me a private message giving me your email address...

lyn

hi vince i will email you the service records later on...im afraid i cant find fredericks ww1 records but as terry has confirmed on your other thread he was serving with the royal welsh fusiliers during the war...

lyn

hi vince as promised i emailed you your grandads service records a couple of days ago...hope you received them...

lyn

Thank you Lyn for all your time but sadly I didn't get the e-mail, I have had problems with the computer and just repaired it so may have lost the e-mail. thank you anyway.

hello vince i have just emailed you the 4 pages of records again...can you see if you have received them this time if not i am quite happy to post them on this thread if you would like me to do that...you can then save them to your pc...

lyn

Back