• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Then and Now Images

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
An interesting set of 'then and now photos' in the Guardian Newspaper mainly of WW1. Camera positioning is perfect. On a tablet (iPad etc) drag your finger back and forth across the screen to change times. On a PC click/hold and drag the cursor to achieve the same effect. The speed of dragging controls how the scene changes.

The first photo shows German PoWs sightseeing in the West End in September 1919 !

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/series/photography-then-and-now

Brilliant Phil, thanks for posting. I'm tagging WW1 War diaries and I've worked through many for units posted around Ypres and the Somme. The endless building, repairing and improving of trenches comes out loud and clear from the diaries so I'm not surprised to read in the captions that trenches are still visible in places today. And the frozen Somme is a marvellous photo. You have to wonder whether those men, smiling and going about their work survived the War. I don't think we can ever imagine the terrible cold, filth and horrible conditions those men fought in. When you see the modern day view it seems so utterly peaceful and such a very stark contrast. Viv.

Great Phil. We're hoping to visit Oradour-sur-Glane en route from Tuscany to Brussels in September, and then some of the WW1 battlefields before heading to the UK for October.

Maurice

Back