• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Soldier who was a Licensee

MILLS

master brummie
Arthur Edward BEASANT.
Born 1 December,1895 in Worcester.
Married Phyllis Mary BARKER, Q3 1918, Aston.
1901 Census living at 17, Sandy's Rd., Worcester.
1911 Census living at 2 Stansfield Villa, Ombersley Rd., Claines.
1920/1922 Census living at 24 Maitland Rd., Yardley
1923/1925 Census living at 648 Washwood Heath Rd., Erdington.
1926 Census living at 2 Bloomsbury St., Duddeston.
1927/1930 Census living at The Windsor (PH)?, 33 Cannon St., Duddeston.
1939 Census living at 660/702 (PH)?, College Rd., Birmingham.
1950 Census living at 50/52 Union Passage, Steelhouse Lane, Edgbaston.
1955/57 Census living at 81 High St., Jamaica Row, Deritend.
I am trying to fill in the gaps.
He served from 17 February, 1913 until 8 March, 1917. He was released from military duties for work on Government Contracts on 18 November, 1915. He was discharges on 8 March, 1917.
Can anyone please pin down the actual date of his marriage and his death? I would have thought he would have had a will but couldn't find anything.
The census information is from Ancestry and Findmypast.
Some of his addresses could be PH's, can anyone confirm any please?
Any information, as always would be appreciated.

David

He is mentioned as the licensee of the College Arms, College Road - 7 Aug 1933 Evening Despatch

He is mentioned as the licensee of the College Arms, College Road - 7 Aug 1933 Evening Despatch
MWS,
Thank you I guess this ties into the 1939 Census, so he was there in 1933. So moved from The Windsor between 1930 and 1933. Starting to fill in the gaps.
Appreciated.
David

The 1932 Kellys directory ( which might refer to 1932 or 1931) lists the Windsor as having a Livingstone as the licensee . No mention of a Beasant in the commercial section. The directories 1933-1940 show Arthur as at the College Arms , College road, Erdington. He appears to have left by the 1943 edition.
I am not clear what the address "81 High St., Jamaica Row, Deritend" means.

For his marriage, I can't see any online record (apart from registration) so it probably would have to be a purchase of his marriage certificate. Though there appear to be some trees on Ancestry that have him which may contain more details.

And there doesn't seem to be a death registration for him or his wife so he may have emigrated. There doesn't appear to be any record of their son (if correct) and his family after the 1950s either.

For his marriage, I can't see any online record (apart from registration) so it probably would have to be a purchase of his marriage certificate. Though there appear to be some trees on Ancestry that have him which may contain more details.

And there doesn't seem to be a death registration for him or his wife so he may have emigrated. There doesn't appear to be any record of their son (if correct) and his family after the 1950s either.
MWS,

You have confirmed that I haven't missed anything. I couldn't find any information about emigration either. I have the birth date for the son so my next step tonight will be to work forwards from there.
I looked through the family trees on Ancestry but couldn't find anything there. No Beasant trees only ones linked through marriage.
David

Had a spare 1/2 hour.
Checked out, birth, marriage details and may be Eric Arthur ( fathers name) who joined RAF in 1941. Ends there.

Probably married Joan M Cooke, Jun qtr 1943 Meriden and had 2 children, Paul A (1946) and Wendy (1953). Nothing for any of them after that.

Nos 50,52 Union passage are listed in the 1947 -1950 Kellys as The Cabin PH, run by Arthur Beasant

81 Jamaica Row (which is the actual address in the electoral rolls) is the Plough & Harrow , listed as Arthur Beasant in the 1955 Kellys, after this Kellys did not usually list landlords

Back