• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Service Records

Carolann

Journeyman Brummie
I have been looking for Service Records for Alfred Perks.
He was killed in 1918 in France.
Army no.17220 Machine Gun Corps.
I have found a Medal Card but no service Records,
i would be grateful if someone could check for me.
Thankyou
Carolann

Hi Carolann - I can't see a service record but not many survived. The death roll shows the following

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 about Alfred Perks
Name: Alfred Perks
Birth Place: Hockley, Warwick
Death Date: 21 Mar 1918
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Birmingham
Regiment: Machine Gun Corps
Battalion: (Infantry)
Number: 17220
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
Comments: Formerly 9156, Worcs Regt.

The machine gun corps were mainly made up from other regiments you could volenteer or be seconded, most regiments can be traced to the machine gun corps even the guards had one so did the rifles.
paul

Thankyou Aidan and Paul for the information i am very grateful.
I know a lot of the records did not survive as i have tried to find my Grandfather
i can`t find anything about him,mind you i don`t even know what Regiment he was in.
Carolann

carolann, If you read Aidens reply at the bottom it seems that your relative was formerly in the Royal Worcestershire Regiment they have a museum in Worcester, and the regiment is still around as the Worcestershire and sherwood forresters regt, they may have some news for you as you have his regimental number 9156.
paul

Back