• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Service records for Private George James no.24586

Brum Burgin

knowlegable brummie
Hi folks,can someone point me in the right direction please.My Granddad Private George James no.24856 of Oxford & Bucks light infantry.I would like to try and find out where he was during the war and what he did.I know that he was in Salonica in Feb 1919 but what he did before then I don't know and I've been told that most of the service records were destroyed in a fire.Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Hi folks,can someone point me in the right direction please.My Granddad Private George James no.24856 of Oxford & Bucks light infantry.I would like to try and find out where he was during the war and what he did.I know that he was in Salonica in Feb 1919 but what he did before then I don't know and I've been told that most of the service records were destroyed in a fire.Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Don't know if this helps, but my Grandad was in the 8th Bn OBLI, and this is what the 8th Bn did;

He arrived in France 18 Sep 1915. In Nov 1915 the Bn travelled to Macedonia, and served there until the end of the war.
Hubert received the following awards;
The Victory Medal
The British War Medal
The 1915 Star.
Actions 8 Bn involved in;
Horseshoe Hill (SW of Durjan) 10-18 Apr 1916.
Battle of Durjan 24-25 Apr 1917 & 8-9 May 1917.
Battle of Durjan 18-19 Sep 1918.
Pursuit to Strumica Valley 22-28 Sep 1918.

Barrie

From the details you give your Grandfathers discharge papers are on Ancestry briefly (there are 10 pages)
George James
Private Ox & Bucks 24586
Silver Polisher, Middleton Road, Kings Heath
Married 1/2/14
Lilian
Fred
Service 3yrs 156 days
Medals awarded Victory and British War Medal
Service in Salonica and Egypt
Discharge to Reserves 29/11/19
He suffered the effects of malaria in Salonica and was hospitalised on a number of occasions for it.

Colin

Thankyou Barry,that info could be very useful.Paul,I will certainly give that a whirl,thanks very much.
Colin,that is my Granddad.Thankyou very much for that.It even gives the date he married my Gran which I didn't know.
This is a great site and there are great people on it.Thankyou very much all.

Back