• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Naval Memorial in Handsworth Cemetery

• Thread starter Thread starter djcollins
  • Start date Start date
D

djcollins

I have just found out that over half of the 104 officers and men were died in the 'Battle of the Isle of May' in 1918, when 2 Royal Navy K class Submarines were sunk and others damaged in collisions with each other and accompanying ships, are commemorated in Handsworth Cemetery. As the incident occured off the Firth of Forth on the East coast of Scotland, this seems unusual. There are twice as meny names of the dead on this Memorial as on the Memorials at Portsmouth or Plymouth. The Handsworth Memorial includes names from all over the country and the Portsmouth and Plymouth Memorials contain names from the midlands.

Can anybody give an explanation for this, I am hopefully going to visit Handsworth Cemetery on Sunday to see if there is any clue there.

Regards,

David Collins

I will take a look at the memorial in Anstruther when next up there. Also take a look in the museum there.

Lots on Googel about it - BTW. Here is just one.

Chris Baker
There is an error in the layout of the Roll of Honour headings, only Hammond, Able Seaman from K-17 is on the Handsworth Memorial, all the other erroniously attributed to the Handsworth Memorial are actually on thr Chatham Naval Memorial. This I found be putting the names into Commonwealth War Graves Commision, I went to the Handsworth Memorial and found that the names were not there on the WW2 roll of Honour. The Cemetery staff were very helpful but did not know of another Memorial., that is when I tryed the Commonwealth War Graves Commision website, I very good place for information.

Bernie D'Boult
I may be going to Anstruther later this year on next year and would be interested in what the Museum has in it.

Regards,

David Collins

Back