• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Medal Lookup please

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Hi, Could someone who has access to the Ancestry Medal Cards do me a quick lookup please?

Name: Reginald John GODWIN

Born: 1882 Hackney Middlesex

Regiment: Devonshire maybe

He is reputed to have died in 1918, but could have died a year or two later, though his death doesn't show up anywhere, including CWGC. In 1911 he appears to be working as a farm bailiff in Mill Hill, London. This is for a friend in NZ, but having exhausted all other avenues of research, I am not too hopeful. Many thanks,

Maurice :cool:

Hi
There's a medal record for a Reginald John Godwin - Sgt. R.A.V.C. (12th Mobile Veterinary Section)
Awarded the "Meritorious Service Medal" - reg no SE/10733 (Stamped ITALY)
Recorded in the Gazette: Date of Gazette - Peace Gazette
Registered Paper: 0137/5604 Sch. No. 4335

Then another medal card for Reginald J Godwin - AVC - Pte - SE/10733 AVC - SGT - SE/10733 - victory, british and 15 star
Theatre of war first served in France - date of entry 12/9/15.

Someone may be able to attach them here for you as I am unable to for some reason.

Suzanne

There's a possible death for a Reginald J Godwin 1957 in Hereford, aged 75 which would give a birth of approx. 1882. ref 9a 32 JFM.

Suzanne

Thank you very very much, Suzanne. Looks like my friend is going to have to do some more digging!

I'd spotted the Hereford death, but as is usually the case when someone is reputed to be the father of an illegitimate child, there are many family stories which have evolved/been deliberately spread to cover up the true facts. The family story is that he died during or shortly after WW1 and was in the Devonshire Regiment - unusual for a man who spent much of his life in and around London and doesn't appear to have any Devon connections.

Regards,

Maurice :cool:

Back