• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Lookup please

CherylA

proper brummie kid
I wonder if there's anyone with access to military records who could look up my great uncle William Paul 1881 to 1917? He was born in Coventry and lived in Winson green, Birmingham .
It would be great to find out any more information about him.
Many thanks.
Cheryl

Pte 6865 William Paul was killed in action on 10 April 1917. He was serving with the 11th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and is buried at Feuchy Chapel Cemetery near Wancourt, Arras. The date is the second day of the Battle of Arras.

CWGC register: https://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=301163

He was born at Coventry and lived at Winson Green but according to "Soldiers Died in the Great War" enlisted at Ross - my copy says Herts but that must be Herefordshire, presumably Ross-on-Wye.

As he was Coventry born and lived later at Winson Green he is listed in both the Coventry and Birmingham Rolls of Honour. More info from Birmingham Weekly Post June 9 and June 16 1917.....

Had been wounded three times. Was on the army reserve as a 'time expired man' and called up at the start of the war. The newspaper says he had served 2 years 7 months at the front. The 11th Bn only arrived in France on July 31 1915 so he arrived cOctober 1914 which probably put him in 2nd Battalion of regulars. His wounds record probably explains why he ended up in 11th Bn. Harry Morgan of 1st Bn for example (book 'Harry's War) served in three different Warwicks battalions for that reason.
He left a widow at 35, Lees Street, Lodge Road, Bham.

That's fantastic information which says so much more than I knew about him. I'll pass this information on to his grandaughter who I know wanted to discover more about him.

There are two others in my tree who were killed in WW1. Would it be possible to find out any more about them?
First there's William Paul's brother in law, Herbert John Snow Born in Warwickshire 1888, died 23.12.1917 Ypres. I have him as Regt no 87199 of 155th Heavy Bty Royal Garrison Artillery. My mother says he was Captain Snow, but I don't know if he was.
Then there's my grandmother's first husband, Albert Ernest Collier born 1886 in Cannock, died 8.9.1916 in Salonika.
I'd be glad to be able to add anything else about either of them to my tree.
Cheryl

Herbert John snow. Acting Bombadier. 87199 Royal Garrison Artillery. KIA 23.10.1917 aged 26. buried Cement House Cemetery. Grave No. I. K. 10

Barrie.

Albert Ernest Collier. Pte. 16095. Worcestershire Regt. Died 8 Sep 1916. buried at Sarigol Military Cemetery. Kriston. Grave No. A 74.

Barrie

Thank you so much for looking them up. They don't seem as forgotten if they have more information on my tree than just their names.
Cheryl

Albert E Collier was awarded the Victory Medal, the British Medal, and the 1915 Star. He entered France 22 Sep 1915.

Herbert J Snow was awarded the Victory Medal and the British Medal. As he doesn't appear to have been awarded either the 1914 Star, or the 1915 Star, it would appear that he did not serve abroad in WWI. There is no record of him entering France, but of course he did, because he died there.

Barrie.

Hi Barrie,
Both were killed during WW1 - it seems a bit odd them being awarded the Victory Medal after their deaths. Herbert Snow died at Ypres/Leper in 1917.
Looking at my family tree, the war certainly cut a swathe through them - and of those who survived I've heard of shrapnel wounds and gassing.
Many thanks for your help
Cheryl

Just to correct a couple of things above.

The dead were awarded the same campaign medals as those who survived. They were sent automatically to their next of kin.

Being awarded the British War Medal tells us that a man left his native shore, and having the Victory Medal tells us that he entered a theatre of war.

The modern Flemish form of Ypres is Ieper (pronounced Eeper) not Leper.

I never knew that! I'd also thought that it was a typing error when I've seen Ieper (that must be quite recent, as I'm sure it was Leper when I went there maybe 20 - 25 years ago)

Memory playing tricks! It's never been Leper. Ypres (French), Ypern (German), Ieper (Flemish) or Wipers (British)!

Can I ask a bit more about William John Paul please?
As an army reservist, does that mean he'd been a regular soldier? Would he have been involved in the Boer war? He would have been old enough (for the second one) as he was born in 1881.

Back