• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WW1 Army Service Question

dib44

master brummie
I have a army question please relating to my grand father Joseph Begley, born 1888 in Evesham moving to Birmingham sometime after 1901 but before 1913 when he married my grandmother Elizabeth Morgan on the 23rd November 1913.

When my fathers brother John Joseph Begley was born on the 21st June 1915 at 122 Ellen Street, his occupation was given a a tube drawer, but when my father was born on the 14th December 1916 at Loveday Street Maternity Hospital his occupation was given as PRIVATE 12383 TR Late OBLI then in brackets tube drawer.

I am guessing the TR stands for Territorial Reserve? and the OBLI the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry?

I have failed to trace any WW1 war records of any type, can anyone please advise why I cannot trace any records, not even a service medal or war service card?

Obviously my grandfather was around during the war because he fathered both my dad and his brother, was there some sort of reserved occupation during WW1 and if so was the TR some sort of Civil Defence organization as in WW11.

Hoping SKS can help me out with my questions please.

TR refers to Training Reserve

Formation of the Training Reserve

On 1 September 1916, a considerable reorganisation of the reserve infantry battalions took place. Before this date, most of the infantry regiments contained one or more reserve battalions of the regular and new armies. Recruits would be posted to these battalions for basic training, before they were posted to an active service unit.

No Medal Index card usually means that a soldier stayed in the UK. he might have been injured during his training period.

Terry

Thank you Terry, from your description "Training Reserve" I googled it and came up with the "Long, long trail"

https://www.1914-1918.net

a very informative site indeed.

It would appear then that he was initially called up to the OBLI then because of maybe over manning he was drafted to the TR and maybe stationed at Wareham (9th (Reserve) Bn, the Ox & Bucks. Light Infantry Wareham)

He (allegedly) was always in poor health passing away in 1929 at the TB hospital in West Heath, Birmingham.

Perhaps that explains why I have been unable to come up with a service medal or card.

Sincere thanks for your valued input.

dib44

Hi dib44

This may be nothing but.... did your Begley family live at 118 George St West?
I have noticed a Joseph BEALEY at 118 George St West in 1918 reg no 27333 Pte 2nd Dorsets.(I have looked at the actual image and it does say BEALEY) but
on Ancestry medal index for reg no 27333 a Joseph BEGLEY comes up, Dorsetshire Regiment

May be nothing but thought I would mention it:)
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

George Street West?

Lived in George Street West most of their lives, I will have to check my records for 118 though, I know for certain 72 @ 89, but 118 rings a bell,
leave it with me, sounds promising Suzanne.

Dibs.

Yes, in 1921 when their daughter Doris Elizabeth was born they were living at number 118.

Back