• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

World War One - record information

H

Humph3

I am trying to find information on Stephen Mackey born about 1876 - 77 in Woostanton, Staffordshire.
I don't know what regiment he was in though I have a photograph but no cap badge is visible. I wonder if anyone can help. He was living in Ladywood at the time.

Regards

Humph

Can't see any service records on Ancestry, but a lot were lost. You may get clues from BMD, Census, electoral roles...

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915 about Stephen Mackey
Name: Stephen Mackey
Year of Registration: 1877
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: Wolstanton
County: Staffordshire
Volume: 6b
Page: 108

Someone on Ancestry appears to be researching him (shows born 16th May 1877-15th Apr 1943) with wife Grace Hurd & 7 Children of Stephen MacKey & Maria Gahan - dunno if connected or accurate. There appears to be 1881C & 1891C (where he is shown as apprentice painter from knutton) but can't see 1901C (so maybe on service abroad?) I don't have 1911C or Electoral roles to check

Thanks for looking Aiden.

It's the right Stephen Mackey with Edith Hurd, but five children he had which can be seen in the photograph. My mother makes the sixth.

His father was also Stephen Mackey married to Maria Gahan. Any idea where I go from there to find his service history. I think he was sent to France at some time.

Humph

I can't remember if it was 40% or 60% Service records were lost in a fire - a lot anyway. There is one Medal card for a S.E.Mackey who served with both 8/ Wilts & 4/ Glouc Rg - it gives an adress of Bristol around 1920

Other than that I can't think of too much unless I've missed something (quite likely) but would be worth checking Findmypast

Thanks for looking. That isn't the one, his middle name was Ignatius. pity.

Cheers
Humph

Thanks for the trouble Aidan,

I,ve ended up getting credits on findMyPast, Found a Stephen Mackey sometimes spelt Mackay and thinking it was him opened up to find this one joined the army in 1893, so it couldn't be the one I'm looking for.Everything else matched.Back to the draawing board.
Humph

Wouldn't dismiss with just age as I think there was still concept of Boy Soldier from about 14 to join up proper at 18

1918 Absent voters list
Stephen MACKAY 65 Vivian Rd, harborne , Sgt, RAF 148193 and the address is the same as the 1911:)

Suzanne

humph he seems to be wearing a white lanyard on his left which would denote The Royal Artillery. so he would have been a bombadire (Cpl) try the RA museum and the RFA list's both in Woolwich.

1918 Absent voters list
Stephen MACKAY 65 Vivian Rd, harborne , Sgt, RAF 148193 and the address is the same as the 1911:)

Suzanne

this is the correct person, correct address, so he was in the RAF which was newly formed in 1918. However as Paul Stacey comments ( and thanks for your imput Paul), it looks like an army uniform. When I did a search for my father who was in the RNAS and was transferred to the RAF, uniforms were not given out. I wonder if Stepen Mackey transferred to the RAF, they were in need of volunteers???

I will have a look at the RA and RFA and see what I can turn up.

Thanks

Humph

Back