• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wood? Blind match seller in Birmingham.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am hoping to get info for a relative.

One of her family was related to a blind match seller who was murdered in Birmingham, near New street, in late 40s early 50s, his surname may be Wood.
Any information received with thanks, Alberta.

hi alberta i would think this would have been in the newspapers so hopefully members who are subscribed to the online newspaper archives can do a search..fingers crossed

lyn

Last edited:
hi alberta i would think this would have been in the newspapers so hopefully members who are subscribed to the online newspaper archives can do a search..fingers crosses

lyn
Trouble is Lyn not all Birmingham papers are online in late 40s and early 50s

I think it is just whatever they have copies of to scan. When I searched for Birmingham Mail in 1940s copies available 1940 t0 1945 but niot rest of 1940s. Then in 50s it only came up with 1951 - so not even coronation year.
More years for the Post.

I am afraid Wood was incorrect
My daughter in laws granny was Doris May Wood nee Brown, she married Francis Wood in 1934. 1939 shows her born 1911.
I have found Doris M Brown born 1911 mmn Bradley , too late to be on 1911 census.
A Frederick Medolphus Brown (what a great name)
married Ada E Bradley in 1908.
My daughter in law says that Doris had a photo on her wall which she believes was the chap we are searching for and it may be Doris brother.
The plot thickens,:worried::grinning:

hi alberta so am i correct in thinking that the blind man could be on the 21 census with sister doris brown

lyn

me again alberta...if this is your doris may brown you may find this 21 census transcript useful..i also have the original written census if you want it..

lyn

Household members (5 people)​

First name(s)Last nameRelationship to headSexBirth yearAge in yearsBirth placeOccupationEmployer
Sarah JaneBrownHeadFemale187347Birmingham, Warwickshire, EnglandLacquer (Brass Work)Booths (Brass And Tube Manufacturers)
LeslieBrownSonMale190714Birmingham, Warwickshire, EnglandWarehouse BoyWales Woodworkers And Lacquering
AustinBrownSonMale190813Birmingham, Warwickshire, England--
Doris MayBrownDaughterFemale19119Birmingham, Warwickshire, England--
HaroldBrownSonMale19146Birmingham, Warwickshire, England--

Transcript of Doris May's record​

First name(s) Doris May
Parish Birmingham
Last name Brown
Registration district Birmingham
Sex Female
Registration district number 384
Birth year 1911
Sub-district Ladywood
Census date 19 June 1921
Sub-district number 1
Age in years 9
Enumeration district number 8
Age in months 12
County Warwickshire
Age as transcribed 9 y 12 m
Country England
Relationship to head Daughter
Ward of borough or urban district Rotton Park
Orphanhood Father Dead
Parliamentary borough or division Birmingham PB, Ladywood Div.
Birth place Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Archive The National Archives
Birth town Birmingham
Archive series RG 15
Birth county Warwickshire
Piece number 14016
Birth country England
Schedule number 266
Birth place as transcribed Birmingham
District reference RD 384 RS 1 ED 8
Education Whole-Time
Schedule type code E
Language used to complete form English
Schedule type England household, single page, 10 entries
Person making return Mrs Brown
Other household member's first name(s) Sarah Jane, Leslie, Austin, Harold
House number 6
Other household member's last name Brown
House number suffix 2ND
Record set 1921 Census Of England & Wales
Street Terrace, Moilliett Street
Category Census, land & surveys
Address 6 2nd Terrace, Moilliett Street
Subcategory Census
Full address as transcribed 6 2nd Terrace, Moilliett St, Dudley Road, Birmingham
Collections from Great Britain, England
© Findmypast

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=TNA/R39/5553/5553C/011/21

I tried following up these boys (Leslie, Austin and Harold) onto 1939 reg but didn't find any evidence of them being blind. Unless they already lived away from home because of blindness.

I tried following up these boys (Leslie, Austin and Harold) onto 1939 reg but didn't find any evidence of them being blind. Unless they already lived away from home because of blindness.
jan may it be an idea to find out when they died ie was it the 40s/50s i guess they could have become blind later in life

lyn

The murder took place in late 40s early 50s.
Leslie, I think, died in 1986
1679497645648.png
Austin died in 1952 - so it could be him
1679497681934.png
Harold in 1973.
1679497723341.png

It was Austin - he lodged in a house in Gough Street - moved there after the death of his Mother.
Just trying to decide which newspaper article to go for.

Last edited:
Back in April 2012 on a thread about the 1960s Astoness commented about a blind matchseller in New St

which was followed by 'Gensec's comment about him wearing a greatcoat

Yes - the chap who tried to commit suicide was cleared of murder. There are an awful lot of articles.
Coventry Evening Telegraph Friday July 25th 1952
1679498646984.png

It looks as if the famiy may not have been in close contact - or, at least, polce were not aware of the family contact details.
1679499327805.png

what a tragic event...it seems austin had been blind since the age of 14...at least alberta now has all the information to pass on to her daughter in law...alberta see my post 13..if you do want the hand written 21 census i have it

lyn

Yes - very sad.
There are around 20 articles about the case.

There is one burial listed in 1952 for Austin Brown (in April - so that fits) at Quinton Cemetery.

where would we be without the wonderful newspaper archives...without them many family mysteries would remain unsolved..i still think that £13.95 for a months subscriptions is well worth it and many thanks to our members who are subscribed that are happy to help others who are not

lyn

where would we be without the wonderful newspaper archives...without them many family mysteries would remain unsolved..i still think that £13.95 for a months subscriptions is well worth it and many thanks to our members who are subscribed that are happy to help others who are not

lyn
At the moment it is £12.99 a month. A years sub is also on offer.

I don't know what to say, I am amazed.
For 20 yearsI have helped other members with their queries and they have helped me but this beats it all, Tracey will be so
shocked at the sad story but will solve her families mystery, Thank you all so very much. Alberta.

I don't know what to say, I am amazed.
For 20 yearsI have helped other members with their queries and they have helped me but this beats it all, Tracey will be so
shocked at the sad story but will solve her families mystery, Thank you all so very much. Alberta.
hi alberta...its no more than you deserve especially after all the help you have given over the years to our members including myself with my enos wood :D glad to help

lyn

Back