• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"Wire Drawer"

loisand

master brummie
Can you please help, rest assured my mind has really gone OT on this one, lots and lots of things have crossed my mind, but I really don't know :
What occupation is a WIRE DRAWER
Thankyou
:flower: :cat:

Lois a wire drawer is someone who draws wire from a coil say 1" wide through a machine to make it a smaller size say 3/4". This is a simple explanation, but no doubt some more learned friend can give a more detailed explanation.

Sylvia's explanation is correct, the wire is drawn through a die, or series if dies until it is the required size AND shape.
In the jewelry trade it is done by hand on a draw bench.

I've got someone in my family history who did this job as "wire drawer" - glad I read what it meant. Thank you to those who replied here.

Does anyone know by any chance where these people would have worked to do this sort of job? I am just curious as to what sort of place this may have been and what the wires were used for.

Liz, Copper wire would be drawn down in diameter from rolled copper rod of 5/16 or 1/4 dia. through hardened steel dies. This would then be used in household cable or wound into heavy cable that you see suspended on pylons for power transmission. Steel wire would be similarly drawn down for use as is. Maybe as fencing wire. Much would be cut up and made into nails and such. Also wound steel cables for suspension bridges etc. I am sure I have missed a lot and there are probably more people on the site who can offer better info. There is a lot to know about the process that the material goes through before it gets to the drawing stage. Hope this helps.
Regards

Think of a large tube of toothpaste, when you force it through the small hole in the end it comes out a different diameter....same principle. :)

Actually Frantic that is the wrong annallogy. That is a model for extrusion where pressure is applied to the large end to force the product through a shaped hole. It is used to extrude hot brass billets into extruded shapes. Also aluminum. It is a hot process. In the wire drawing process the analogy would be to hold the tube of toothpaste without squeezing it and grab a hold of the toothpaste at the cap and pull it out of the tube. It is a cold process. However with toothpaste you would become hot and bothered trying to get some.

Rupert, I was merely trying to explain to the non-technical, that if you start off with something with a large diameter......And then force it through a very small hole ....... you will finish up with a lot more thin stuff than you had fat stuff in the beginning. As a Toolmaker, I am fully aware of the processes involved.  Oh........and you spelt analogy wrong as well............sniff.

surely elisebeth , you must know where these tubes are drawn, in foundries , and rolling mills and smelting foundries , i done my drawing at the bromford tubes ltd . at bromford lane .erdington , and at tubes investments at rocky lane aston also barker and allen ltd . dudley road and at ICI witton and in fact thats where i leart the skill , i have extracted copper , brass , and steel .working to centre meters , and fractions from blue print drawing to make customers orders , tell frantic it was a nice way of putting to rupert. i had to smile astonian ,;;;

Frantic,
Eat your breakfast,
Don't make your egg  mush,
I merely point out,
It's a pull not a push,
This is important,
As drawers will tell,
If you push from behind,
No wire will you sell.

Regards.
ps. Thanks for the correction,
    Although I endeavor,
    To get it all right,
    I fear I will never.

Whoops - sorry for the "dumb" question there - "I'm a still a babbi" so I really don't know these things!! :-[

It's just lots of my family have worked at tubes over the years on different jobs etc.. but I'd seen "wire drawer" as an occupation on census forms for ancestors - just wondered how and what it was.

Lots of my family were at a brass foundry, some made buttons, my mum worked at Bairds doing TV's, there was ICI, IMI, seems there were loads of factories my family have worked in - someone even made wellies at Dunlops too I think

Sorry the only factory I ever worked in was Doultons in Watling St Tamworth and I made Pylons for British Telecom in 1982 - I didn't do it for very long I was lucky and went to college. I was just curious as I kept seeing wire drawer and nail maker in my ancestors details and was just trying to place what they did.

I guess I will still learn - as lots of these places changed and occupations etc.. while I was growing up in Brum - I am amazed at just how much stuff was done in Brum!! Like anyones family - my family did so many different jobs I am amazed now I am looking at where they all lived and worked.

Thanks everyone for your explanations and patience - my curiousity always gets the better of me!! ;D I am learning everyday about stuff that people worked at in Brum!!

:angel: I have drastically 'Modified ' this topic....

It had gone way off 'Beam' in parts.‚.. ::) :2funny: :smitten: O0 and as it is on the 'Main Forum' not 'The Aston Arms' area, we needed to stick to the question and facts. (for the sake of children and researchers using this site).

Hope no one gets offended... O0 However if you are :tickedoff:, come and see me in person for my humble apologies. 8).‚.. :smitten:

Back