• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilton Steet, Aston & Andover Place, Cowper Street U.D.

mrose1701

master brummie
My father in law's half sister Isabel Louisa May Brooks was born in 5 Andover Place, Cowper Street UD on 23rd August 1909. The mother May Brooks lived at 64 Wilton Street, Aston.

Were these two streets close to one another? - don't have a map of this area. I don't understand why she was born in Andover Place when she live in Wilton Street.

Has anyone got any photos of these two streets around this period ?

Also are the electoral registers for these two streets available for the years in and around 1909 at the Central Library?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Pre 1920 women did not have the vote, and I think residential qualifications for men may have been slightly different also. Anyway in 1912 no 5 Andover Place and 64 Wilton St are not listed in the electoral roll, presumably because no suitably qualified people were living there. Much later , in 1920, it was Mary Ann Low & Elizabeth & Thomas Murphy ai 5 Andover place.
The two atreets were not right next door, but not too far distant. Part of Wilton St is still there , and Cowper St ran approximately parallel and a little south of Milton St

Hi Mikejee,
Many thanks for the info - you're right about women note having the vote - wasn't it David Lloyd George who gave them the vote at the end of WW1? Have looked at Wilton Street using Google Maps but it has obviously been redeveloped with little if any of the original buildings left in situ. Have seen a previous thread on Andover Place, Cowper Street but cannot access any of the associated photos attached - believe this may be due to the recent problems with photos being erased from the Birmingham History site. Hopefully there are some photos around of the forementioned streets at or around the turn of the century.

Is it possible to trace an Albert Samuel John Brooks via the electoral registers for the year of 1909 - can these be searched by surname or is an address required? He separated from his wife May Brooks not long after the birth of their daughter. I have the birth certificate of Isabel Louisa May Brooks andthis lists ASJ Brooks as the father but only gives the mother's address as she registered the birth.

The only electoral registers you can search by names are those online ( at https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/ ) , and 1909 is not included in those on that site. for pther registers you would have to go to the library for, and these are written books which list only by address. A;bert Samuel John Brooks is listed in the absent registers of
1918 and 1919 . In 1918 he is given as 51631, Pte, 17th Batt, Scottish R, but in 1919 no army details are given. In both cases and also in the noemal register of 1920 he is listed as at 135 Warren Road. . In 1925 and 27 Albert Samuel Brooks is at 9 AB Row, with Emma Amelia Burke, Alfred Marrell, Harry Ward & Henry Smith
Mike

Mike,
Many thanks for the info - wasn't aware of the midlands historical data site - will bear it in mind for future enquiries. Cannot understand why Albert Samuel Brooks would be a private in the 17th Battalion Scottish Rifles - he was apparently Aston born and bred - why not the Warwickshires? Not sure how new recruits were enlisted at this time or whether he saw service in the 1st World War. I am told that the army number somehow tells you something about the terms of enlistment and the batallion - whether that's true or not I'm not sure. Not easy tracing facts about unknown family members !! Have you any idea how to check on the date he joined the Scottish R and whether he saw service in WW1? It seems there may be a good chance he saw service by the fact he was missing in the 1918 electoral register. Can any records be viewed at the Central Library?

Afraid I'm not an expert on military matters. but someone else can probably help.

Back