• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilson Family

• Thread starter Thread starter fourlambs
  • Start date Start date
F

fourlambs

Hi,
Looking for details of the Wilson family of Aston, circa 1901.

Henry Wilson
Ada Wilson

Living 997 Baker St.
Children : Ada Mabel, John, Joseph, harold, Margaret

Help appreciated...
Cheers
Phil

Hi Fourlambs, Welcome to the site and forum. :)

As you gave no other date 'cept 1901, I was woundering if this would be your Ada Mabel ?
Births Jun 1892
Wilson Ada Mabel Birmingham 6d45
If so then that gives us a time line to work from.

Pom :angel:

Ada Mabel Wilson

Hi Pom,

I can confirm this is her, i really need more on her parents, marriage dates, maiden names, places etc.
Help appreciated if you can..

Phil

Welcome fourlambs, If you send for the birth certificate with the information Pom has given, this will give you the mothers maiden name.

Is this the family in 1901 Census ?

Name:Ada M Wilson
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1894
Relation:Daughter
Father's Name:Henry
Mother's Name:Ada
Where born:B'Ham, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish:Aston
Ecclesiastical parish:St Andrew
County/Island:Warwickshire

Registration district:Aston
Sub-registration district:Deritend
ED, institution, or vessel:92
Household schedule number:161
Household Members:NameAge
Ada Wilson
Ada M Wilson
Harold Wilson
Henry Wilson
38 Bricklayers Labourer
John H Wilson
Joseph A Wilson
Margaret Wilson
1 month
All born Birmingham

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2865; Folio: 75; Page: 26.

You give the address as 997, it is in fact 9 Ct (Court) 7 Baker St

The only marriage record i found that it might be is --

Alfred Henry Wilson 4th qtr 1887 Birmingham 6d 360
Ada Marie L May 4th qtr 1887 Birmingham 6d 360

I think, as was suggested, you should send for the birth cert of the one Pom gave you first to confirm the correct names for the parents, it is the best way to make sure we are on the right path. If the cert confirms the above let us know and we can continue. I have found this birth entry, the youngest was born towards the end of the 1st qtr of 1901 and it looks like her birth was registered early in the 2nd qtr --

Margaret Wilson 2nd qtr 1901 Aston 6d 217

At least now you have a choice of which one to send for first LOL

bren

Ada Mabel Wilson

Hi Guys,

Thanks for help, but excuse my ignorance... to whom do I request birth certificate from ? and how ?

I am in Australia, can it be done via internet ? Also relatively new to this ancestry searching stuff.

I am pretty sure I am on the right track with details given below.

Cheers

Phil

Wilson

Also, are there any birth details around for these two ?

Alfred Henry Wilson
Ada Marie L May

Cheers

Phil

Wilson-May,

Hello & colloquial G,day 4Lambs 8) Sharing or Shearing ? :D

After you investigate/confirm your Wilson & maybe a May (Surname not pun) lol, the advice-guidance given by Moma P, Bren & even Pomgolian
alias a Pom-Kiwi, but a gud un,, All excellent Gene-ius,s,
Then i may be able to assist-link with my Wilson-Wisedale
& Young-May "tree" branch connex,
Good luck & expect good help from All on here,
Cheers m8 John Y

Wilson

All, birth certifcate received.... Ada Mabel Wilson was born to Charles Ernest Wilson and Ada Wilson (formerly Taylor), on May 17th 1892. Father was a 'journeyman baker', a detail was has been confirmed elsewhere.

Residence is given as 1 St. Margarets Place, Alston Street, Ladywood, Birmingham.

This means the data below is not ALL correct, ??? now need to find her parents DOB, DOD and marriage details, plus any other siblings.

Any offers for help ?

Regards

Phil

This looks like the marriage:

[SIZE=+1]Marriages Jun 1888 [/SIZE]

Taylor Ada Aston 6d343
WILSON Charles Ernest Aston 6d343

Now depending on the age Charles was when he married (his age should be on the marriage cert' if you obtain it) and where he was born this is what I found:

[SIZE=+1]Births Jun 1841 [/SIZE]

Wilson Charles ErnestBlything 13399

[SIZE=+1]Births Sep 1853 [/SIZE]

WILSON Charles ErnestSt Luke 1b518

[SIZE=+1]Births Mar 1869 [/SIZE]

WILSON Charles ErnestSheffield 9c423

[SIZE=+1]Births Jun 1870 [/SIZE]

Wilson Charles ErnestBirmingham 6d86

Here are the family on the 1891 Census. The only thing missing is Charles Occupation which the enumerator forgot to write in.

Name:Charles Ernest Wilson Age:22 Estimated Birth Year:abt 1869 Relation:Head Spouse's Name:Ada Gender:Male Where born:Birmingham Civil Parish:Birmingham Ecclesiastical parish:St John Town:Birmingham County/Island:Warwickshire Street address:1 Bk 36 Alston Street
Registration district:Birmingham Sub-registration district:Lady Wood :
Household Members:NameAge Ada Wilson 25 B Earnest Wilson 7 months Charles Ernest Wilson 22 Charles Henry Wilson 23 months

Here they are on the 1901 Census. Mary or May Rainbow is a domestic servant

Name:Charles E WilsonAge:33 Estimated Birth Year:abt 1868Relation:Head Spouse's Name:AdaGender:MaleWhere born:Birmingham, Warwickshire, EnglandCivil Parish:Birmingham Ecclesiastical parish:St Mark County/Island:Warwickshire Country:England Street address: 273 King Edwards road

Registration district:Birmingham Sub-registration district:Lady Wood NameAge Mary Rainbow14 Ada Wilson 37 Burtrand Wilson 10 Charles E Wilson 33 Charles W Wilson 11 Harrold Wilson 4 James F Wilson 4 months Maybell Wilson8

Found this one on 1901 census --

Name:Charles E WilsonAge:33
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1868
Relation:Head
Spouse's Name:Ada
Where born:Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish:Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish:St Mark
County/Island:Warwickshire
Street address: 273 King Edwards Rd

Registration district:Birmingham
Sub-registration district:Lady Wood
ED, institution, or vessel:17
Household schedule number:79
Household Members:NameAge
Mary Rainbow
14 Domestic Servant
Ada Wilson
Burtrand Wilson
Charles E Wilson
Charles W Wilson
Harrold Wilson
James F Wilson
4 months

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2826; Folio: 63; Page: 14.

No daughter Ada but there is one on the image missing from above --

Marybell or Maybell 8yrs old

bren

Hi,
Looking for details of the Wilson family of Aston, circa 1901.

Henry Wilson
Ada Wilson

Living 997 Baker St.
Children : Ada Mabel, John, Joseph, harold, Margaret

Help appreciated...
Cheers
Phil

This was your original request and i am now not sure if we are looking at the same family, the first 1901 census i posted had these names but the one Di & myself have just put on are very different. Ok Maybell could be Ada Mabel but we have no John, Joseph or Margaret and they are not living at the above address. What led you to the above information ?

Is it just me getting confused ???

bren

If the 1891 census is right then I would say this is your Charles from my ealier list.
Births Jun 1870
Wilson Charles Ernest Birmingham 6d86

And this could then well be Ada Taylor:
Births Dec 1867
Taylor Ada Aston 6d312

However don't take my word for it, they both just seem to fit in with the details and ages of them both. However I would still get the marriage cert first.
This looks like the marriage:

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]Marriages Jun 1888 [/SIZE]
Taylor Ada Aston 6d343
WILSON Charles Ernest Aston 6d343[/SIZE]

Hi Pom & Di

I am not saying the anything we have posted is wrong just confusing.

We have gone from Henry & Ada, fourlambs original info/request, to Charles and Ada plus we have lost a few names on the way. What i am wondering is, is this a case of brothers or cousins from the same family, and we have come across this many times, about the same age marrying someone of the same christian name then having children around the same time and naming them the same. I think fourlambs said he was fairly new to this and may have had some info not realising there are two famlies, very easy done in these circumstances, thats why i asked what led him to the names in his original request and referred back to that first 1901 census i posted about 2wks ago.
Hope you both understand what i am on about :(

bren

Wilsons - Aston

Hi Bren, Pom & Di,
sorry for the confusion, i received Ada Mabel Wilson official birth cert yesterday and it states Charles Ernest Wilson as her father, hence the change in direction !

However I am still confused as on a later census (1901 ??) she is listed as living with a Henry Wilson (Father) and Ada Wilson (Mother). You may be right in that the two families are closely related.

All help appreciated.......

Regards Phil

I agree Bren and fully understand where your coming from... :)

It does seem from 'fourlambs' last post though, that he now has Ada Mables Wilson Birth Cert'.
All, birth certifcate received.... Ada Mabel Wilson was born to Charles Ernest Wilson and Ada Wilson (formerly Taylor), on May 17th 1892. Father was a 'journeyman baker', a detail was has been confirmed elsewhere.

Residence is given as 1 St. Margarets Place, Alston Street, Ladywood, Birmingham.

That's the reason for the found refernces in my latest post :cool:
We'll just have to wait till 'fourlambs' gets back to us :cool:
Cheers

Hi Chris and Bren
On the certificate it states Ada Mable, she was not born on the 1891, but on the 1901 there is no Ada Mabel, just Maybel, or a variation of the spelling. BUT there is an Ada Mabel living with Henry and Ada. I wonder what occupation is shown for Henry, and where you first saw the address of Alston Street, Phil and the occupation of Baker.

Henry is shown as bricklayers labourer and living in Bordesley, so there can be no confusion on anything other than the fathers name - can there?

Can we assume that you have Ada Taylor and Charles Ernest Marriage certificate, Phil. Because if you do and it doesn't solve the mystery, then you might like to get the certificate for Henry and his Ada, and or a birth certificate for Ada Mabel. I did notice that on the 1901 young Ada was Ada M. That could also be a pointer.

Right! now here's a thought...
On the 1881 Cen's I have my Gran Clara just a few months old and a host of sibblings living at home with Mom & Dad, however the eldest child William 12yrs on the Cen's is living with his Grandparents' and on the next 1891 Cen's is back home with the rest.
Could Ada be living with reallies do you think ? Due to over crowding, because Mom had not long had James 4 months and needed Help from an older girl than Ada Mary Rainbow14 Domestic Servant .

Wilson Marrriage Cert

Hi All,
I am reasonably happy with your suggestions below, a lot seems to fit with other data I have had from rellies, so thanks for your help.

I may request Ada Taylor and Charles Ernest Marriage certificate from 1888... what is this likely to tell me tho ?

Will I see their parents listed ?

Cheers
Phil:redface:

Glad to help :great:
The Marriage cert' will have:
Full Date of marriage,
The couples full names,
ages of the couple,
if they were Single or Widowed,
the couples occupations at the time,
Addresses where they were both living at the time,
Both Father's names, and their occupations.
In fact quite a lot and will cost about Seven English Pounds.

Anticipating your next question .... :)
From Rod...
...you can do it online. I send for all mine from here, and its usually quite quick.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Its possible too to help friends and relatives overseas... I bought a certificate online for my cousin which they sent to her in Australia.

I have also used this link and had them sent to N.Z .

May I ask a question of all you "Expert Brummies" and me a mere apprentice.
I too have wilsons in my lists, albeit more recent. Is it OK to ask about them as they could still be around. I dont have too many details, just parents and childrens names. Not sure of the "form" for this. Also a matter of identity etc.

Back