• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilmott Breeden, Stirchley

Virusman26

master brummie
Hi all, just thought I'd post these shots on here of how the Wilmott Breeden, Stirchley site has changed over the last 2 years. I missed out on exploring this place by the narrowest of margins, and really wish I had!!! A mate of mine worked there as a toolmaker, 28 years ago, and has VERY fond memories of the place. I understand it later became Rockwell International? Correct me if I'm wrong.
This looked to be a HUGE place, employing hundreds of people at any one time. I'm really after old pitucres of it if anyone has any. I know he didn't work at any of the other sites around Brum, so is just interested in stories and photo's from this one.

This is how it looked, all ready for demolition(taken from Google street view)
Wilmot2.jpg

Wilmot1.jpg

And this is the conversion of what was left after the demo crews moved in.............
IMGP7415.jpg

IMGP7416.jpg

IMGP7418.jpg

And here is how it looked from the air...........
Untitled-1-9.jpg

Found here........... https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22965&strquery=Wilmot-Breeden

"More and more individual plants have become linked to the great combines in the industry. Mulliner's, a coachbuilding firm converted to motor carriage body building in 1897, employed 20 in making landaus and the like in 1885, 200 in 1897, (fn. 22) and 1,000 in 1948. (fn. 23) Acquired by Cammell's in 1903, (fn. 24) it was closed by Standard's in 1960 and production moved elsewhere. Fisher and Ludlow, established by Fisher in 1849 to make tinsmen's furniture and kept busy making such goods as kettles and mess tins until it entered the motor trade in 1920, employed 3,600 in 1948, (fn. 25) and 14,000 in 1956. (fn. 26) In 1912 only 200 had been employed. In 1953 it joined the British Motor Corporation and since then has supplied bodies for the Austin Company as well as making washing machines and refrigerators on its own account. One of the few independent firms, Wilmot-Breeden, employed 7,000 in 1960 making bumpers and door handles. (fn. 27)"

Great photo's and information Virusman. I can't believe most of these wonderful manufacturers are gone it's so very sad.

It did indeed change to Rockwell International after Wilmot's closed.It then became Meritor I think after Rockwell, lots of discussion with Tesco,S'bury's etc wanting to develop the site.I have not been along Fordhouse lane for a good while so I am unsure of the sites current state.Unless my memory is playing tricks I think prior to it being Wilmot's it was a place that made paint brushes.

I think the name of this brush making concern may have been "Lengs" or something similar.I will contact some of my pals who still live in Cotteridge/Stirchley areas to see if I can confirm this or otherwise.

It's the Wilmott Breeden company that I'm mainly concerned about, and the toolroom staff that were there during the 80's.

Rockwell International became Meritor, then ArvinMeritor

The company moved from the Stirchley site to one in Tipton, where I work

Tell me who you know from the 80's as I work with some people who date from then

hi humphreys, Befor Wilmott breedon it was the Leing Brush Factory. they made brushes for the millatrey during the war years. Most of my relatives including my farther worked there.

Hi. I was stationed at Monyhull A.S. for a few years and lived in Cartland Rd and Westminster Rd. in the 90's. The entire Stirchley area was declining rapidly then. The Industrial Estates were plagued with Crime. The Police Helicopter almost permanently over the Hazelwell Rd area each night between 2am & 4am. I dare say that the economic climate, plus this fact lead to the exodus of businesses from the area. Just driving through the centre now, as I do regularly, reveals lost shops that had long histories & asssociations in the area. Wasn't the LeMar Commutator works there somewhere? I remember this site as Rockwell International, but as has already been said, change is so rapid & dramatic in B'ham now that a week is a long time ....!

I ve been searching through moms old photos and came across this one, i knew mom worked at Wilmot Breedon during the war,img049.jpg its obviously some kind of march. Can anyone shed a light on this.

From the placards it looks like it's a march to encourage women to work in the factories.

Hi mom worked there through the war, and dad worked there for about forty years from the 1940's till around 1980. he worked in K block for the last twenty five years of service. His name was Ronnie Beetison. They never talked to me about the picture or what it was all about.

Hi mom worked there through the war, and dad worked there for about forty years from the 1940's till around 1980. he worked in K block for the last twenty five years of service. His name was Ronnie Beetison. They never talked to me about the picture or what it was all about.

They were like that back in our childhood years, didn't tell us a lot..... Not like today's children, they want to know everything !
I don't know where in the factory Dad worked but he did nickel plateing and used to bring huge heavy ash trays home....
We lived in Erdington and he walked to Stockland Green to get the number 11 outer circle bus.
Lovely picture.

What wonderful looking ladies, and they say the girls are good today, some of those girls could the socks of some of them today, lovely, thank you
Dee

What fantastic photo's podgery It would be interesting to find out exactly why they were demonstrating a great piece of history.

What fantastic photo's podgery It would be interesting to find out exactly why they were demonstrating a great piece of history.

I wish Podgery had some photos of the men who worked there, my Dad was there from the end of the second world war until he died in 1968.

Sorry Delyawindsor21 these are the only photo's i have found that have anything to do with Wilmots, but i will ask my sister if she knows of any.

Back