• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Street - dairy

Katie0605

Brummie babby
Hello! I wondered if anyone knows of an elm farm dairy which would have been on William street Birmingham around about the 1940s
My grandmother tells me she used to live on the dairy and also talks about a pub the kings arms which was on the corner of bishops gate street and William street (I’ve found reference to the pub on this site) and I’d just be interested to know if anyone knows anything about a dairy on this street?!

No 114 William St in 1946 Kellys was the elm Farm Dairy Co. , shown in red on map below

1950s map showing 114 William St.jpg

Thanks for your reply! Was Kelly the owner? I think my grandmother was a tenant, unfortunately she has dementia now but speaks about elm farm dairy a lot

There are at least 3 mentions of the Elm Farm Dairy Co in the Bham newspapers - 1907, 1920 & 1942.

The one from 1942 (18 Dec, Bham Mail) mentions a William John Rhodes as proprietor.

There are at least 3 mentions of the Elm Farm Dairy Co in the Bham newspapers - 1907, 1920 & 1942.

The one from 1942 (18 Dec, Bham Mail) mentions a William John Rhodes as proprietor.
Thank you. It is great to know some other names and more information!

katie do you want a photograph of the kings arms pub or have you already got one

lyn

Thanks for your reply! Was Kelly the owner? I think my grandmother was a tenant, unfortunately she has dementia now but speaks about elm farm dairy a lot
Kelly's is a directory .Mike used it to find the street number of the dairy. It lists properties but not necessarily owners

katie do you want a photograph of the kings arms pub or have you already got one

lyn
Yes please do send one that would be appreciated thanks Lyn. Likewise if you know anything think else or have any other photos of the road, she mentions a cafe that her grandmother used to work in, think it was on the same street too.

katie i cant be certain but i think we have a thread for william st ladywood i will try to locate some other photos and post them tomorrow if i have any but for now here is the kings arms not sure if it william st to the right or left

lyn

kings arms bishopgate street.jpeg

An aerial view dated 1935 with No 114 Wiiliam Street tinted light brown and the Kings Arms Pub tinted light green. Bishopgate Street is named.
1935_WilliamSt.jpg
image from 'britainfromabove'

katie i thought we had a thread for william st click on link below but make sure that you start reading the thread from post 1 so that you do not miss any of the old photos that has been posted

katie i thought we had a thread for william st click on link below but make sure that you start reading the thread from post 1 so that you do not miss any of the old photos that has been posted

Thank you! I will show my grandmother these photos, hopefully spark some happy memories for her

Back