• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Sheppard WWI

Carolann

Journeyman Brummie
I have been trying to find my Grandfather William Sheppard born abt 1887
sorry i don`t know what Regiment he was in.
On his marriage certificate it said pensioned out of the army,i have looked
on the Army Pensions but can`t seem to find him.
I think he was living in Camden Street or Camden Drive in 1918.
I would be grateful for any help.
Thankyou
Carol

Hi Carol.

I'll have a go if you like.

Was he born in B'Ham, and is that his full name?

Barrie.

Hi Barrie,
Thankyou,yes William was born in Birmingham as far as i know he as not got a middle name,trouble with Sheppard there are different variations of
spelling.
I am very grateful
Carol

Carol. can you tell me when he married please, and what was the name of his wife? I've got a few credits left on the electoral roll site.:) just found out, lucky that.

Barrie

Hi Barrie,
William married on 21st Feb 1918 to Beatrice,i thought it said Army pensioner on his
marriage certificate, sorry it was on his daughters Birth Certificate who was born December 1919.
Carol

Hi Barrie,
William and Beatrice had a son Henry Joseph born abt 1922.
Carol

Carol. I've been trying to relate William and Beatrice to an address, so that I could try and find the same address on the 1918 absent voters list, so far without success. There are several men on the 1918 named William Sheppard, but I don't know which one is which. I will keep looking.

Barrie.

Hi Barrie,
Thankyou for the Electoral Images,i think William and Beatrice on the 1935
are mine but not sure abt 1930 i don`t know who John Henry is.
I really appreciate you trying to help me but some how i don`t think
we will find William`s Army Records,weren`t a lot destroyed in the War.
Regards
Carol

You are quite right about the WWI army records Carol. Approx 2/3 of them were lost in the blitz during WWII. I'm sorry that I cannot be more help to you.

Barrie.

carol worrall, Contact the Veterans Agency UK they are very helpful, this is a Freephone number 0800 169 22 77, give them all the details you have about William. Len.

As I have said on this forum a few times before, appealing to the Veterans Agency is not likely to be of any value when looking for men who were discharged from the army up to 1921. Their records were released to the public some years ago and at that point the MOD/VA relinquished responsibility for them. You may be lucky enough that he continued to serve after that time or even re-enlisted, and the place to go in order to apply for such a record is https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

For advice on how to go about researching a man discharged up to 1921, read https://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm

Back