• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Henry Street

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi guys
can anybody tell me where was william henry street
was in birmingham in the year of 1901
and is it still there today - i dont surpose it is now
many thanks for your valuable time every body
have a nice day every body best wishes astonian .

Hi Astonian,
I think it ran from the junction of Rocky Lane and Charles Arthur Street through to Long Acre but I may well be corrected by the map experts.

Last edited:
Astonian

William Henry street is/was off Rocky Lane opposite Cheston Road. As far as I am aware it is still there. I think it was little more than an access road to the wharf.

Phil

Attachments

• William Henry St .jpg
    William Henry St .jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 7
hi phil
many thanks for that info;so it would be by the hen and chickens pub ,
on rocky lane , cor, blimey , do you know i worked along side bazzm
at tubes many years ago ,and i never ever took any notice of the name
of the street and i remember my mother telling me that her father
and his mother lived up on that street i think some-one also told me on
this site it was 1901the lived there
once again phil many thanks best wishes astonian ;;;;

Astonian

The Hen & Chicks on the corner of William Henry St & Rocky Lane.

Phil

Attachments

• Aston Hen & Chickens Aston Rocky Lane.jpg
    Aston Hen & Chickens Aston Rocky Lane.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 6
william_henry_st_c_1913.jpg
The 1913 map shows some houses in William henry st. Also the 1904 directory lists two shops :
46 Rhodes Henry, shopkeeper
47 Whitehouse George David, shopkeeper,
So I would think some houses were there then also.
The 1900 directory gives the Road and “North side”, but does not list any numbers. I would take that to mean that , although none were listed, at that time there were some houses there, but only on the north side
Mike

hi mike and phil
many thanks to you both for putting up the old maps and explaining and showing me the maps and where the houses were and most of all where
the street was and i must also say thanks again for the pic of the old hen and chicks
thats where bazzm and me would nip across to there on and between our shifts at tubes along with our other fellow workrs when any of the gathers wa not looking
i was the no 1 over head crane driver for many a year long before the recession started in this country for the first time but since then its been up and down for years, still any way guys thanks a million for your valuable time
best wishes astonian ;;;

Astonian, fancy not remembering the name of the street by the side of the Hen & Chickens. The beer must have been stronger than I thought in them days. Funny how the old mind plays tricks on us every now and then isnt it mate. Youre right about us popping over the road from work for a quick snifter whenever we where on a late shift (2-10). They where the good old days eh ?. Barry.

By the way Phil, another great photo. That certainly brings back the memories. Barry.

hi barry
what a great surprize to hear from you its made my day i sincerely mean that and i hope things are great for you and your family, i cannot speak for my self
at this moment because i am not in the best of health myself and experencing problems but i will say bazz i was thinking of you on saturday the reason being my son took me to my daughters in acocks green and i asked him to take me up through rocky lane way back and i am him stop out side the foundry and i was staring at the roller shutters and i was telling him all about the job and mentioned you to him
and all so the place was called heartland extrusion limited
and its up forsale all closed down now for good now it was a shame it closed down ain,t it
still bazz beleive me i think i am loosing my marbeles now and i think i am ready for the knackers yard and when i said about the william henry street even
when we was at tubes i never ever bovered to look at that street sign
i was only focused on the cafe and the old hen and chicks for dashing across and looking over my shoulder to see if big bill was prowling around or stan fisher
mind you he was not to bad was he ,
thanks bazz for replying to the thread and i hope you aint workn to hard
well bazz i will finish here for now and say all the best to you and your family
for the future best wishes astonian ;;;;;;

Astonian my old mate. Great to hear from you again, but sorry to hear you are suffering with ill health still. Its a pity to hear that the old foundry has all closed down. Im the same as you in remembering all the great days we spent in that place. We where lucky in that we worked with some great people in those days. You mention Big Bill and Stan. Then there where others like Dave, George, and numerous others whose names wont come to me at this second. I sometimes wish we could turn back the clock, just so I could meet all those wonderful work colleagues again. Well mate, Ive got to go now, but pass on my best wishes to your family, and you take care too. Your old Tubes buddy, Barry.

Hi Astonian,
I think it ran from the junction of Rocky Lane and Charles Arthur Street through to Long Acre but I may well be corrected by the map experts.
Correction to my own post - I was obviously thinking of Walter Street. Apologies.

hi dave
many thanks for your thread its okay you did not have to opologise
but by putting a another reply for correction , you in turn have made me realise
my mistake yesterday inanother thread regarding the old brs road services parcel depot
when i asked did any body remember the base ,i said rupert st , in fact you have just reminded me it was in fact walter street so thats why nobody remembered it
thanks dave , have a nice day .best wishes astonian ;;;;

hi dave
many thanks for your thread its okay you did not have to opologise
but by putting a another reply for correction , you in turn have made me realise my mistake yesterday in another thread regarding the old brs road services parcel depot when i asked did any body remember the base ,i said rupert st , in fact you have just reminded me it was in fact walter street so thats why nobody remembered it
thanks dave , have a nice day .best wishes astonian ;;;;

I don't know about you but I put it down to getting old! I spent a lot of time as a kid from Charlie Arthur Street School playing with other kids from the school who lived at the end of Walter Street at the junction of Long Acre and Thimblemill Lane, yet I couldn't think of its name the other day!! Today Thimblemill Lane came to mind but not the other day.

If anyone is still interested in William Henry Sreet I can give you more details, My Fathers family all lived in that street, and it was a 'dead end' it did indeed start from 'Rocky Lane' opposite Cheston Road, looking up the street from Rocky Lane the 'Hen and Chickens' pub was on the right, (my father met my mother there when she worked as a barmaid during WW 1!) there was a cafe on the opposite corner then three or four hoses, from then on the houses had long front gardens and the houses (Terrace Type) were immediately at the foot of the railway embankment, these carried right on on up to the top of the street. at the top were Railway Sideings. coming back down there were houses with no front gardens, but also houses lying at the back of them, these were accsessed by narrow 'entry's', one of my aunt's lived up one of these and her neighbour used a horse and cart to sell fruit & veg around Aston, overnight he would leave the cart in the street but would un harness the horse and send him up the entry, many a time I've come face to face with the horse as a child and boy was he big! his stable was alongside the house. As was the norm in those days, nearly all my fathers brothers and sisters, when they married managed to rent houses in William Henry Street. My motger by the way originated from Kidderminster and was sent to Birmingham on War work, making blankets for soldiers, she worked for Brintons in 'Kiddy' as a carpet weaver, and the bar work was extra. Don Clive

Last edited:
Back