• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Hanson - Durham Light Infantry

patsy

proper brummie kid
Hi All
Have just found my Great Uncles WW1 army service records. (really interesting reading!) Just wondering how he came to be serving with the Durham Light Infantry eventhough he was a brummie. Would he have chosen a regiment or were they allocated when he signed up?
He enroled on 13 July 1916 at Worcester (he was living in Floodgate Street,Aston) and was discharged on 18 December 1919, he spent most of this time in Salonika. It seems he then contracted Malaria and was then unfit for duty.
Thank you for reading, any info would be appreciated.
Patsy

Hi Patsy - my granddad was a William Hanson who lived in Clifton Road, Aston, with his wife Rose and their children. When I saw your post my heart jumped as I thought I might have found a connection to my family after many years of searching. Unfortunately to my knowledge he was never in the army so wasn't your William.

I wonder if there is any connection at all. My William (b. 1876) had a brother called Samuel Sidney who had several children (haven't found a William though) and another called Frederick, who I know nothing about. Do these name ring any bells with you? Judy

Hi Judy
My William Hanson (1886) was my Nan's brother. My Nan was Lavinia Sadler ne Hanson (1893), their parents were William Hanson (1860) and Lavinia Watts (1861). Sadly in my searches I have found many Williams but there may be a connection as I also have a Samuel (1895) so it could be a family name, but there do seem to be many hansons in the Aston area! I will keep you in mind if I come across any connections, Patsy

I was keeping my fingers crossed for a match there Patsy, still never mind, I have been looking for so long now. My granddad's brother Samuel had a son called Leonard Samuel who was born in 1894 but I don't think there is any connection to yours. As you say, there were quite a few Hansons in the Aston area. It was worth a try:) Judy

No Problem Judy I have hit a brick wall with my Hansons as I can't narrow them down to a certainty because of the many William Hansons :explode: but I think its all part of the fun!!!!! Patsy

I was keeping my fingers crossed for a match there Patsy, still never mind, I have been looking for so long now. My granddad's brother Samuel had a son called Leonard Samuel who was born in 1894 but I don't think there is any connection to yours. As you say, there were quite a few Hansons in the Aston area. It was worth a try:) Judy

I have done some research into 'Hanson' in the Aston area.
I have a Samuel Hanson b. 24 Nov 1842. Father Edward Hanson and Mother Sarah Hanson [nee Plaistow].
Sites that might help you.
www.familysearch.org
ukcensusonline.com or practically any UK library [for free].
www.cwgc.org The Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Hope this helps.

ladywood

Hi All
Have just found my Great Uncles WW1 army service records. (really interesting reading!) Just wondering how he came to be serving with the Durham Light Infantry eventhough he was a brummie. Would he have chosen a regiment or were they allocated when he signed up?
He enroled on 13 July 1916 at Worcester (he was living in Floodgate Street,Aston) and was discharged on 18 December 1919, he spent most of this time in Salonika. It seems he then contracted Malaria and was then unfit for duty.
Thank you for reading, any info would be appreciated.
Patsy

Hi Patsy.
Regiments and battalions were often so decimated that they drew young men from all over the country to rebuild a regiment.
So you might enlist in the South Staffordshires only to be transfered to the
Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry.
This happened to my great uncle was killed in Salonika and his grave is there.
I think the policy of the army was to keep Midlanders with Midlanders when ever possible to if you like reinforce a sort of tribalism. i.e. you were with your mates.
The National Archives at Kew [London] will have all the information you require about you Great uncles military life.

Ladywood

Hi Ladywood

Many thanks for your information. What I was hoping for when I replied to Patsy, was someone else researching the same family as me, as I have yet to find anyone else looking for 'my' Hansons.

I have traced my Hansons back to William Hanson in 1794 in Birmingham but am stumped there as I have the choice of 3 sets of parents which would match!! I have opted to go for Matthias Hanson who married Ann Wysam in St Martins in 1755, but as I can't confirm this I have had to stop at this point.

My grandfather was also named William Hanson, and was born at the back of 109 Coleshill Street in 1876. The family then moved to Aston. I was hoping Patsy was connected, but unfortunately not.

However, on the other side of my family John Martin was in the Royal Scots, after previously being in the Royal Warwickshire, and his brother Owen, was in the Royal Welsh regiment. The family lived in Clifton Road, Aston.

Judy

Judy

The date of his enlistment gives it away. He was enlisted as a conscript under the Military Service Act. This brought conscription in for single men from 2 March 1916 and was extended to married men on 25 May.

At the same time the army's training organisation was completely changed. The logical link between where a man came from and his "local" regiment was broken. There is nothing at all unusual about a Brummie enlisted in mid 1916 going to the DLI.

Hi Ladywood

Many thanks for your information. What I was hoping for when I replied to Patsy, was someone else researching the same family as me, as I have yet to find anyone else looking for 'my' Hansons.

I have traced my Hansons back to William Hanson in 1794 in Birmingham but am stumped there as I have the choice of 3 sets of parents which would match!! I have opted to go for Matthias Hanson who married Ann Wysam in St Martins in 1755, but as I can't confirm this I have had to stop at this point.

My grandfather was also named William Hanson, and was born at the back of 109 Coleshill Street in 1876. The family then moved to Aston. I was hoping Patsy was connected, but unfortunately not.

However, on the other side of my family John Martin was in the Royal Scots, after previously being in the Royal Warwickshire, and his brother Owen, was in the Royal Welsh regiment. The family lived in Clifton Road, Aston.

Judy
Hello Judy,
There was an Edward Hanson b Feckenham Worcs who married Elizabeth Weston [or Wesson] at Tardebigg Worcs 1782. They seem to then have moved to Birmingham and had a family of as far as I can see of 7 children. The 5th, a son William Hanson christened at St Phillips Church [now Birmingham Cathedral] 28 Dec 1803.
This family of Hansons settled in Aston and there was a connection with Bromsgrove Worcs as A Rebecca Hanson had 2 illegitimate babies there.
Not sure if this is a help or a hinderance.

ladywood

Hi Chris

The information is very useful and interesting, and I will keep it in mind in future research. It certainly explains why the two Martin brothers were in the Royal Scots and Royal Welsh, and I did wonder why that was.

However, I think the message was for Patsy and not me :)

Judy

Hi Ladywood

Many thanks for the information. Unfortunately the Hansons you mention are not connected with mine, but I am grateful for you trying!

I have confirmed my William Hanson married Sarah Howells in 1797 at Aston Juxta. From his death certificate I have ascertained his birth date to be about 1774 but have a choice of 3 sets of parents! Just as the Edward Hanson that you mention came from Worcestershire, I can also find a connection to Derbyshire!!

Judy

Back