• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wilkins/Palmer

AMW

master brummie
Hi
I am trying to find out about Albert Harry Wilkins marrying Lucy Palmer, and where Albert and his family (father's name George Wilkins) were on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses.
Best wishes
Alison

Attachments

• Albert Harry Wilkins b.1881 m. 17 Jun 1901 Lucy Palmer.jpg
    Albert Harry Wilkins b.1881 m. 17 Jun 1901 Lucy Palmer.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 1
In 1881 George and Matilda are at 102 Bishopgate St with 2 sons Gorge and Frank.

In 1871 George and Matilda in Bham.

George was born 1844ish Tewkesbury, Matilda (nee Shoebottom) was born Plymouth 1845.

Can't see them in 1891.

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
That is fantastic thank you. Sort of confirms what I thought but wasn't sure. Didn't know Frank was in the Army?

I deleted the army thing because I can't really be certain and would need something to corroborate it.

Not sure what happens to George William (the son) after 1881 or Frank (if it is him) after 1891.

Matilda possibly dies in 1899. There are a couple of possibilities for George's death prior to 1901.

• Appreciate
Wow thanks that would explain a lot of things and also why I can't find Albert and his parents on 1901 census.

Lucy Palmer's parents appear to be living in Northfield from the early 1870s - High St in 1881, Dawlish Road in 1891. They both - William Palmer and Mary Bellamy - seem to both have been born in Lapworth.

• Appreciate
Mary Bellamy was born in Lapworth, William Palmer was born in Rowington. They married in Lapworth in 1867.

Matilda Shoebottom's father Richard appears to have been in the Navy, possibly in the Marines. He appears on a number of Navy Allotment Records for various ships. There might be a Chelsea Pensioner record for him.

• Appreciate
It's possible that Richard Shoebottom was from Bham, on one census it's Bham on another it's Plymouth. There are Shoebottom's from Bham but I've been unable find a baptism for him. I think it says his father was James on his marriage but it's not clear.

He was buried at Witton in a common grave, which now appears to have other people buried on top.

• Appreciate
It's possible that Richard Shoebottom was from Bham, on one census it's Bham on another it's Plymouth. There are Shoebottom's from Bham but I've been unable find a baptism for him. I think it says his father was James on his marriage but it's not clear.

He was buried at Witton in a common grave, which now appears to have other people buried on top.
1881 census has Matilda born in Plymouth as well.

• Appreciate
Thank you both so, so much. Really appreciate the effort you have both gone to over this. It really does help me prove I'm not going down a blind alley. :)

All the early children were born in Plymouth, while he was still in the navy I assume. There are a couple I think born afterwards when they came to Bham. The mother, Susanna (Skelton) appears to be from down there somewhere.

• Appreciate
1678215106668.png1678215125475.png1678215171371.png
George Wilkins is listed as a Publican then a Horsedealer. Can't seem to find him in Trade Directories. Very puzzling.

Difficult to know what's going on, it may be that he was a publican for just a short time.

I see on the first marriage Kate's father is listed as deceased where as George Wilkins isn't, seeming to imply that he was still alive at that time though I wouldn't say that was a certainty. Though there is a possible death of about the right age in 1898.

• Appreciate
I just find it all so confusing with this family. Not sure if they are brothers as on the 1911 census Frank says he was born in Burton on Trent!

It can be confusing, you just have to go slowly sometimes.

However, the Frank Wilkins born Burton on Trent is not your Frank, he appears to be the son of a Thomas and Emma and his wife in 1911 is Florence not Mary. No relation at all.

• Appreciate
I think that too. My Frank is Frank C Wilkins on 1881 census. Frank Wilkins and Mary Waring are witness to George William Wilkins marriage to Kate Woodford. George lists his father as George Wilkins Publican.

Then there is a marriage between Frank Charles Henry Wilkins and Mary Pricilla Waring and Frank lists his father as George Wilkins a Publican too. I guess could the Frank Wilkins and Mary Waring be different people to those who got married?

1678280992122.png
1678281002975.png

I think you can be fairly certain that the Frank & Mary who witnessed George's marriage who are the same people who subsequently married each other. And it would see probable that George and Frank are related, the ages making it a good chance that they are brothers.

However, there's not the same amount of info to prove that Albert is also a brother, though a lot of it fits. It would be nice to find another connection, Alfred's census omissions are annoying.

Do you know what details are on Albert's second marriage in 1907?

• Appreciate
If they are the same people that subsequently married this would make him the Frank Wilkins on 1911 census born in Burton on Trent married to Mary Pricilla Wilkins (nee Waring).

WILKINS, GEORGE WILLIAM SHOEBOTTOM GRO Reference: 1871 D Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 161
WILKINS, FRANK SHOEBOTTOM GRO Reference: 1873 D Quarter in ASTON Volume 06D Page 305
WILKINS, ALBERT HARRY SHOEBOTTOM GRO Reference: 1882 J Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 67

1678283862454.png
1678283875956.png

I truly puzzled and for the life of me can't get to the bottom of this. Thank for you help. Good to have another pair of eyes on this.
Best wishes
Alison

No, the Frank Wilkins b Burton upon Trent has nothing to do with your Wilkins family. He is a different person. What happens to your Frank Wilkins after he marries I don't know but that is not him.

However, Albert's second marriage provides the connection I was looking for. The witnesses appear to be his brother and sister in law.

So, I would definitely say that they are brothers, children of George and Matilda as mentioned. I wouldn't worry about the discrepancies in the occupations given for the father, some people changed jobs a lot in those days.

• Appreciate
I have confused the Mary Pricilla Waring who marries Frank Charles Henry Wilkins (my Frank) and becomes Mary Pricilla Wilkins with a Mary Pricilla Wilkins (nee Moseley) on the 1911 who is married to Frederick Charles Wilkins hence Burton on Trent. And there was me thinking 'Pricilla' was the more unusual name. Thanks so much for saving my error. It has knocked my confidence making such a glaring error. I guess at least I questioned it. :oops:

Thanks so much for your help.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
More mystery. Frank and Mary Priscilla Wilkins had a daughter Mary Matilda Wilkins b1898 d1927. In 1911 and 1921 she is with aunts and uncles on her mother's side.

Where she is (and her parents) in 1901 I don't but that she is family instead of them subsequently may imply that one or both have died.

• Appreciate
I think I've found Frank's wife and daughter in 1901 on Holliday St. She is listed as Polly Wilkins (a widow) with her daughter (also listed as Polly) 2 sisters and an uncle (Wearing) and a Daisy Wilkins, listed as a sister in law.

There doesn't appear to be any such person to match Daisy, so I'm wondering if this could be Alfred and there's been some mistake in transcription or recording. The ages match.

• Appreciate
Yes I've gone back and deleted those errors out thank goodness. Thanks for the info on Mary Matilda. How strange about her parents. George also names one of his daughters Kate Mary Matilda. But Albert doesn't call one of his daughters Matilda.

OMG!!! the plot thickens. Thanks for your detective work. Arthur Poolton listed above Polly Wilkins was a witness at her wedding to Frank. Where on earth does the name 'Polly' come from for the name Mary? I would never in a month of Sunday's found this information by myself. Not sure who you mean when you mention Alfred?

Polly/Poll is well known pet name for women called Mary I don't why, just like Peggy/Peg is for women called Margaret.

Sorry, that should have been Albert not Alfred.

There is a possible death for Mary Wilkins, Jun qtr 1907.

• Appreciate
I can't see what happened to Frank Wilkins. Taking the known information at face value then he died some time between his marriage in 1897 and the 1901 census when Mary is listed as a widow.

I can't see a matching death locally for a Frank Wilkins of the right age which leads to a number of possibilities - his death was registered under a different name, he died and his death was registered non locally or his death wasn't registered. None are easy to check.

There is a death for a Charles Wilkins, Mar 1900 Bham. He does give Charles as a second name on his marriage but the age is wrong also.

There is a death registered for a Frank Wilkins of about the right age, Dec 1898 Conway but unless you can find a connection to there that seems doubtful also.

• Appreciate
I have found a burial for Frank Charles Henry Wilkins in Witton Cemetery 1898 on FMP but no Civil Death Record. As you say. Only the one for a death in Conway. How confusing??

Back