• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Whitvale Patent Accessories. Collapsible Shaving Brush

lulibell

master brummie
Hi folks,
I've done abit of googling, but not sure if i'm able to find out more about this myself.
My mum tells me that her grandfather, George Fordyce Clark,born 1866, apparently invented this shaving brush.
She found this newspaper cutting advertising it. The address for its purchase is Whitvale Patent Accessories Co.,(Dept DM), 181 , Hockley Street , Birmingham.
We have no date on the cutting,
We've researched the family through the censuses. We know that he was a practical and artistic man and encouraged his children to have similar skills.
Does anyone have any ideas about how we can verify this invention or add detail to this family story?
Fingers crossed that I can attach image of cutting!
Many thanks and best regards,
Lu :)

View attachment 57346

Hi Lu,
According to Wikipedia the Min of Health began in 1919, so that would be your earliest date, I suppose.
The "Dept. D.M." might stand for "Daily Mirror"?
Someone else will no doubt be able to look the company up in Kelly's.
HTH
Stan

Hi folks,
Trying to answer my own query!
I've had a look in old newspapers on Lancashire libraries site , most were too old, no luck.
Found antique and vintage shaving brushes; couldn't see any like this.
Have you seen a similar item?
Lu

Hi,
There is a patent number at the bottom of the illustration. By contacting the patent office you may be able to get details of the original application. I have tried doing a search for you without success. Since the patent number is old, it may not be included on a digitised catalogue,

Humph

In 1915 no 181 was Vaughan Septimus , stamper, and from 1921-40 No 181 was listed as Vale & Charles, electroplate manufacturers, so they maybe manufactured it as a sideline. The cutting could have been from the Daily Mail (Dept D.M.).
mike

Thanks Mike and Humph
I've just googled this and got a list of old patent numbers
https://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-oldnumbers.htm
This shows that the patent number 140697
was between 1920 and 1921.
So this fits in with Vale and Charles, electroplate manufacturers,
'Whitvale' tradename must have been created from Vale.
Humph, thanks for the suggestion, do you think I can email the patent office?
Lu

If it is around 1920, then you should be able to find it online. I found another using his name at https://v3.espacenet.com/publicatio...b&FT=D&date=19080709&CC=GB&NR=190809910A&KC=A /
as below
Patent number:GB190809910 (A) Publication date:1908-07-09 Inventor(s):CLARK GEORGE FORDYCE; ROWE THOMAS JAMES + (GEORGE FORDYCE CLARK, ; THOMAS JAMES ROWE) Applicant(s):CLARK GEORGE FORDYCE; ROWE THOMAS JAMES + (GEORGE FORDYCE CLARK, ; THOMAS JAMES ROWE) Classification: - international:- european:Application number:GBD190809910 19080507 Priority number(s):GBT190809910 19080507 View INPADOC patent family View list of citing documents Report a data error here
Abstract of GB 190809910 (A)
Translate this text 9910. Clark, G. F., and Rowe, T. J. May 7. Rulers; scales.-A combination of two rulers, as a, c, one sliding on the other at right-angles, is used in setting-off decimal and like lengths. If, for instance, the slope of the line e is 0À1 inch in 10 inches, then, as the scale d on the ruler c reads from the line f, by sliding the arm c to the 9À3 inches mark, a length of 0À093 ioch can be estimated and added on to another reading such as 1-6 inches on the arm. In this way such a length as 1À693 inches can-be set off In a modification, the reference point in the arm is on a block sliding in guideways on the arm.
espacenetImage.jpg

Data supplied from the espacenet database — Worldwide

Got it. He was liosted as the applicant, not the inventor (inventor is blank,). link is https://v3.espacenet.com/publicatio...n_gb&FT=D&date=19200401&CC=GB&NR=140697A&KC=A

giving

Bibliographic data Description Claims Mosaics Original document INPADOC LEGAL status
point.gif
tab_sel_lb.gif
point.gif
point.gif
point.gif
point.gif
point.gif
point.gif
point.gif
point.gif
tab_top_right.gif
pointwhite.gif
point.gif
point.gif
point.gif
point.gif
point.gif
point.gif

Patent number:GB140697 (A) Publication date:1920-04-01 Inventor(s):Applicant(s):FREDERICK WHITEHOUSE; HORACE VALE; GEORGE FORDYCE CLARK; FREDERICK CECIL WHITEHOUSE; ERNEST VALE; ERNEST JACK WHITEHOUSE + (FREDERICK WHITEHOUSE, ; HORACE VALE, ; GEORGE FORDYCE CLARK, ; FREDERICK CECIL WHITEHOUSE, ; ERNEST VALE, ; ERNEST JACK WHITEHOUSE) Classification: - international:A46B15/00; A46B15/00 - european:A46B15/00IDT Application number:GB19190021772 19190904 Priority number(s):GB19190021772 19190904 View INPADOC patent family View list of citing documents Report a data error here
Abstract of GB 140697 (A)
Translate this text 140,697. Whitehouse, F., and Vale, H., (trading as Whitvale Patent Accessories Co.), and Clark, G. F., Whitehouse, F. C., Vale, E., and Whitehouse, E. J. Sept. 4, 1919. Bristle, bridles for; brush sheaths and cases.-A shaving-brush having a knob-like portion carrying the bristles and adapted to fit in reverse directions in a hollow handle a, is provided with a sleeve d which constricts the brush head and thereby facilitates insertion in the handle. As shown, the sleeve has a splayed end e which engages with a narrow portion f of the handle, whereby the sleeve is retracted when the knob is pushed home, thus leaving the bristles free to expand within the handle.
espacenetImage.jpg

Data supplied from the espacenet database — Worldwide
you can access the actual patent from tha link. whitvale seems to be running from 91 Kings rd erdington, and it was issued in 1919. In the 1921 Kellys this was the home of Frank whitehouse, one of the other inventors

You took the words out of my mouth Aidan!....
.....Mike,
Embarrassingly,I have tried to find this, but unsuccesssful.
I shant be beaten though!
You're amazing, that's really wonderful, thank you!
I'll have to see if he invented anything else!
I'll put up his photo, if i can find it.
All the best
Lu

We aim to please! All we need now is for these items to be uncovered! ( That would be just too much to ask!!)
As a footnote, I did find the patents for myself; I didn't find any other inventions.
But shortly after, poor chap suffered 2 or 3 strokes and past away in 1923.
Perhaps there are other members with inventors in the family, let us know!

Fascinating stuff Lu. My Dad was an inventor and I remember as a child a lot of the men he knew were also inventors. He was an electrical engineer but would spend hours drawing. I well remember my mother telling him off for drawing on the back of a table mat. I wish I still had it as he was designing an automated car wash. The other thing he started on before he passed away was a new type of car hand break.

How lovely Wendy.
Did he ever patent any of his inventions?
I looked at this again ,as it occurred to me that anyone with genealogical interests in the Whitehouse and Vale families may be excited by this.
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
:friendly_wink:

Hi
I think I've found a lady who may be connected to this Whitehouse family. I'm bumping this thread so she can find it.
Thanks
Lu

Back