• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Where Were These 2 Roads?

Ewan

master brummie
In 1841 I have 2 addresses from the census taken, they are an Upper Tower Street and a Howard Street both in the parish of St George Birmingham.

Can anyone help out please by telling me where these 2 roads were situated in relation to each other or is there an online facility where I can actually see them?

I have 2 sets of families from these 2 roads and I am trying to find out if they were related in anyway, I thought a good starting point was to see how far they may have lived from each other.:rolleyes:

Thank you for any leads.
Ewan

Hello Ewan,
Below are two maps, the first showing the area around St George's Church as it was in 1913, and the second a recent overprinted aerial photo from Google Maps, which shows Tower Street running across from Great Hampton Row/Wheeler Street past St George's Church to New Town Row. A map of 1838 shows the whole length of Tower Street (only partly built up at the time) as bearing that name, but certainly the part east of Summer Lane soon became Lower Tower Street, and it is possible that part or all of the remainder may have been known as Upper Tower Street for a time. Only 200 yards south of the, church Howard Street ran south westwards from Hampton Street towards Constitution Hill.

Thank you very much both of you, I will have a more thorough look at these maps later as at the moment I have just looked to see the names of the roads they do look to be quite close to each other. Another road I was interested to see in relation to the others was Bishopsgate Street, but on my quick look at these maps I couldn't see it.

Thank you again you have been most helpful.
Ewan

Ewen
Tower St seems to be described on maps as either "Tower St" for the whole length, or (going from the west end) Tower St up to summer Lane and lower Tower St to the east of Summer Lane. However directories up to 1872 seem to describe the two parts as upper & lower Tower St.
Mike

Mike, thanks for your description regarding Tower Street, Lower and Upper, it looks like they abolished the 'Upper' bit and just called the street Tower Street.

GER22VAN, thank you for the other attached map showing Bishopsgate Street, if not too much to ask would if be possible to post these 4 roads in one piece so as I can see their locations in relation to each other?

Howard Street ......... Tower Street .......... Summer Lane ......... Bishopsgate Street

Would Great Hampton Row be in the same area as well do you know.

Thanks for all this help.
Ewan

My hand is not too steady these days.
See what you can make of it, I shall try again if you wish me to.

hello ewan.. its a pity your rellies didnt live in lower tower st as there are some cracking pics somewhere on the forum

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you GER22VAN, that is just brilliant I can see all the roads and streets I was looking for in one area. Many thanks for your time and work in helping me.

Lyn, they may have some from 'lower down road' also, I will see if I can find any pics anyway.

Ewan

hi ewan..ive just looked for the lower tower st pics and cant seem to locate them...will keep looking..i have got them on disc so i can always post them again if we cant find them....

lyn

Back