• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WHEELER, John, Born 1889 in Birmingham

Sandiemanz

Hi there everyone. My great-grandfather was John Wheeler (married Helena Hayward Clay in 1909). In the 1911 Census they lived at 164 New John St, Birmingham. But I'm trying to go back further and find the names of John's parents. I've found a possible option (bit of a stab in the dark!) with a Henry and Elizabeth Wheeler, both born in 1857, lived at Court 5, 6 Osborne Place, Coleman St, Birmingham in 1911. How can I find out if I'm on the right track? I'm at the start of my search for my family tree and very much a novice, so any info would be appreciated.

The only way to definately verify is by getting the marriage certificate but as he had a sister Selina and a daughter Selina and there do not appear to be any other
likely John Wheeler I think you may be on the right track.

Hi Alberta, thanks for your prompt reply. The fact that he had both a sister and a daughter named Selina does seem more than just a coincidence doesn't it. Thanks again.

hi sandie, on the familysearch.org site i have found the marriage on 12 apr 1909 in birmingham. john wheelers age was 20 and helena hayward clay was 19.

grooms fathers name was henry wheeler and brides fathers name was thomas clay. all the best, shera

Hi Shera, thank you so much for that. It looks like I am on the right track with the names of John's parents after all! And getting Helena's father's name is a real bonus too. This is all new information that I couldn't have got without your help, so thanks again.

Hi Sandy, John and Helena were my grandparents,if you want to get in touch i have lots of family history.
Kind regards.

Back