• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wheeler family

Brownowl40

proper brummie kid
I'm trying to find information on Susannah Wheeler, my great great grandmother who brought up my grandmother when her mother died. I know on the 1911 census she is posted just as Mrs Wheeler and my grandmother as C Cotton. I also know a Thomas Carr lived as a Boarder with them and he was a carter. She was a second hand clothes dealer and lived at 7 Brearley Street. i am trying to find out more about this address. was it a shop? How long was it in business? I think she married the carter in 1911/1912.

From Kellys

7 Brearley St (Aston, not Handsworth)

1905 Address not listed
1908 - 12 Thomas Carr secondhand cloths dealer
1913 Address not listed

On the 1912 electoral roll she is listed (sme women are listed even though they couldn’t vote. I think it was a property owner thing, but am not clear). However , also listed is an Arthur Godden, marked “succesive, meaning that Susannah moved out and Arthur moved in over the year (1912)
Mike

In 1920 at 7 Brearley Street is a Susannah CARR with Thomas James Besford & Susannah Besford.

Suzanne

The only Thomas Carr marriage i can find between 1911 and 1920 was to Elizabeth Hicks in 1920, i only checked B'ham/Aston

bren

Marriages Dec 1901
CARR Thomas Birmingham 6d 364
WHEELER Susannah Birmingham 6d 364

Marriages Dec 1916
Thomas J Besford m Susannah Cotton Aston 6d 711

Think this could be the one 1901 Census --

Name:Caroline Cotton
Estimated birth year:abt 1874
Relation:Wife
Spouse's name:Frederick
Where born:Birmingham
Civil parish:Aston
Ecclesiastical parish:St Andrew
County/Island:Warwickshire
Address
Registration district:Aston
Sub-registration district: Deritend
ED, institution, or vessel:85
Household schedule number:122
Household Members:NameAge
Frederick Cotton
31 Brass Polisher. All born Birmingham
Caroline Cotton
Bella Cotton
Annie Cotton
Susannah B Cotton
15 months
Thomas Thorp
24 Boarders
Selina Carter
George Thorp73

Frederick Cotton/Caroline Wheeler 4th qtr 1892 Birmingham 6d 112

Death --
Caroline Cotton 30yrs 4th qtr 1903 Aston 6d 177

bren

1930 7 Brearley Street
Thomas James Besford & Susannah Besford, John Chase Besford, Emma Jane Besford

Suzanne

1930 7 Brearley Street

Thank you all for your hard work. can you let me know where you are getting all this info from so I can carry on following up. Susannah Betsey was a sister of my grandmother born in 1903. I did not know if she had married and am still trying to chase up the others.

thank you one again. Any help is wonderful. The cotton name died at my grandmothers generation as Frederick and Caroline only had girls. It will be fabulous if I can trace any relatives.

Gillian

Back