• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What is the date & name of this map?

BordesleyExile

master brummie
The attatched map is taken from an old Hockley Abbey thread & was itself apparently sourced from a book on Key Hill. What is the date of the map & does it have a name?
The map must be later than 1789 to show Hockley Abbey, but it does not show Harry Smiths 17, 18 & 19 Hockley Hill buildings which date from 1820. Moreover I cannot distinguish 1830 built 50-54 Hockley Hill on the same side of the road as Harry Smiths, though to be fair it is challenging to pick out detail.
Its interesting that the very large houses, such as Hockley Hill House etc on the opposite side of the road do not appear or if they do I cannot recognise them from the limited detail.
I am unable to identify a book with "key Hill" in the title.
It would be rewarding to shed some light & understanding on this map.

I may be wrong, but this is a map from 1823(ish) which I used for my children's book on Key Hill - it was a backdrop to the text.

Harry Smith's were established in 1824, so if this map was published in 1823, it may have actually been drawn a couple of years before. The house my gt grandparents lived in seems to be on there - at least if I have identified it correctly. I understand their house was built circa 1814. The map was obtained from the library.

I have checked on my copy of the book, (as we had to have permission and state that in writing), it is a map from 1825, available in the library.

I am fascinated by what you say, Shortie, and have emailed our mutual friend asking him to pass my email address on to you. I would love to know the title of your book & discuss your research. In the meantime what area did the map cover, other than the area reproduced in post 1?
Thank you for your input, Paul.

The map is the whole of Birmingham if I remember rightly. It comes in four parts. I am a bit of a map freak, and putting it in the book seemed the right thing to do - it's a map of the area of Key Hill before the cemetery was laid out.

Shortie

Back