• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What did you wear?

• Thread starter Thread starter oldgoose
  • Start date Start date
O

oldgoose

I'm sure that the kids these days would not be happy to wear the clothes I wore as a child. I don't remember having much say in the clothes I wore - and all of my friends were the same.
My wardrobe consisted of pleated skirts, hand-knitted jumpers for school and home wear, and frilly frocks for parties.

Does anyone remember having to wear those round-necked underskirts with rosebuds on them? liberty bodices? 'peter pan' collars?

When I went to Senior School 1n 1947, I saw a photo on Friends Re of our school Prefects 1950 and I knew them all and 2 were wearing pumps and three in Cut down Wellington's. I think Mom got Daily Mail boots for me.

Don't remember wearing underskirts (joking)

Last edited:
Hello Old Goose, Do I remember the Liberty Bodice, the Navy Blue Knickers etc. I sure do. We hadn't much money and I had three brothers to clothe
so we wore what we had.

One day I had to go to school in those 'healed shoes with buttons up the front, half way up the leg', I was so embarrassed and cried before I went to school and afterward. Never forgotten that time. Miriam

Although i got away with not having to wear a liberty bodice i had to wear a vest, i also wore ankle socks to school, white in Summer darker ones in Winter, that went on until i was 15 and left school. It was the boys i felt sorry for, short trousers even in Winter, they nearly all suffered with chapped knees, at least our skirts came down to calf level. I agree with you Oldgoose, i can't see todays youngsters putting up with that.

Think so Miriam went with Mom then Dad Hob Nails in them to make them last longer.

Alf. Vaguely remember my dad putting in wet news paper to try to stretch my brother boots.

Now a days their grand children are measured for shoes etc. No bunions for them. Miriam.

Did you ever have a verruca - very painful. Miriam.

Yes I wore liberty bodices as well, Old Goose. They had rubber buttons on them. I also wore brown lisle stockings to school in the winter.

And what about those knitted swimsuits !!!! I think you also had one of those didn't you Alf. I remember us discussing them on another thread. Terrible when you had been in the water and got sand in them !!!

Judy

I wore moms friends daughters cast offs as she was just a bit bigger than myself. They owned the sweet shop next to the Post Office opposite Aston Church. I suppose I was lucky as she had the best of everything and when it came to me wearing them they were as good as new. Alf Miriam Pete remembers the daily mail boots but as there were four brothers and he was last but one they had already been worn down and the soles were very thin. Senior school we had to wear the school colours. Jean.

Lots of threads on the dreaded Liberty Bodice if you put Liberty Bodice in the Search at the top of the page.

I remember those navy blue knickers, the girls used to tuck their dresses in them, when doing handstands against the school air raid shelter,I'm sure they knew the boys were watching!!!!!!!

I wore hand me downs from two older sisters. Talk about liberty bodice, vest and navy blue knickers, I would rather forget them. No wonder I ended up with a stammer and bad nerves.No counseling then. Still , I did not have to wear the gymslips.

Our swimming teacher Mrs Olive Woods wore a short pleated skirt and you can imagine you could see her navy blue harvest festivals as my mom called them. W would all be tittering and trying not to laugh out loud. She was still actively involved in swimming till about ten years ago. Dedication. Jean.

I always remember going to a wedding in the fifties and as it was a very wet day, Dad made me wear a pair of wellies and a gabadine mack. Oh I did cry.

Lynda

Here's me as a lad in Bracebridge Street (not wearing my underskirt that day either Alf) with Georgina Best from next door. I think I've still got those shorts but I've definitely lost the hair!!

I'm sure that the kids these days would not be happy to wear the clothes I wore as a child. I don't remember having much say in the clothes I wore - and all of my friends were the same.
My wardrobe consisted of pleated skirts, hand-knitted jumpers for school and home wear, and frilly frocks for parties.

Does anyone remember having to wear those round-necked underskirts with rosebuds on them? liberty bodices? 'peter pan' collars?

I was 5.
My mother gave me a 'new' shirt for school.
It was blue with a white pattern printed on it.
The rounded collars made me uneasy, but the fact that it buttoned up on the wrong side made me suspect it was made for the other gender.
'Stop fussing' mom said.

ladywood

Lynda do you own a pair of wellies now?. Lloyd will echo what Wendy said but slightly different Sooooo cute. Jean.

I remember those navy blue knickers, the girls used to tuck their dresses in them, when doing handstands against the school air raid shelter,I'm sure they knew the boys were watching!!!!!!!

Well actually our's were Bottle Green, so even worse. And yes, we used to tuck out frocks in to do hand stands too, but I never saw any boys looking, they were busy with their marbles.

Maggs

Me at Headington - Oxford. Went to school there for 3 weeks with the school. - lived in huts. I was weaing white ankle socks and the school beret.

1st Picture - brothers in their BEST SUITS Miram.

Almost all my ' old photo folder' comes up with the title of Aunt Florie - does any one know why? Miriam.

In the forties Mum was given a secondhand pair of boys' heavy shoes with toecaps which I had to wear,Mum denying they were boys'. My two younger brothers had the new stuff,I had a (girl) cousin's cast-offs. I didn't mind this as their family was better off than mine.In later years this cousin gave me her children's clothes for my kids. They DID mind.....!

Here's me as a lad in Bracebridge Street (not wearing my underskirt that day either Alf) with Georgina Best from next door. I think I've still got those shorts but I've definitely lost the hair!!

No you haven't lost your Hair Dave its on your face now I've seen you

Well actually our's were Bottle Green, so even worse. And yes, we used to tuck out frocks in to do hand stands too, but I never saw any boys looking, they were busy with their marbles.

Maggs

Now I've stopped laughing maggs don't think you used the appropriate word there marbles hey

Miriam I went to Headington too with the school. I wish I had photographs of the place but have not. Patty was there too. We were allowed our casual clothes unless we went on an outing with Miss Piggot who ran the place at that time. We then had to wear school uniforms. Jean.

Back