• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

wharton street

mariew

master brummie
I always thought my mom was born in colehall lane but now I have her birth certificate from my brother, I see she was born in Wharton street, which my aunt said is in nechells, I don't know where about in nechells it is? but has anyone got any photos of it please? especially of around 1932 when she was born.

Thank you postied I know cuckoo bridge and it's only around the corner from there, and my grandad used to work at the power station, he didn't have to travel far to work, could you tell me if the houses are still there please.

View attachment 11277

mariew
as you can see it's an industral estate.htere is some type of old building there which look like offices. slightly to the left in the middle of the photo.star city is on the other side of the canal.

WINSTON

Thank you Winston, I was going to have a drive down to see what the houses looked like, but now I know they aren't there anymore. I know they were back to backs as the address was 1 back of 14.

Winston I typed in wharton street and loads of pages came up about griting and plans, I cannot find when they were demolished.

re warton st

Winston,l used to play down that st.there was a entrance to the cut there.But you had to watch out for the lock keeper though if you went in there,how people lived down there with that thumping going on from the stamping works i dont know it shook your rib cage.The houses i think went in the 70s,but dont quote me. pete

Thank's again winston I really enjoyed the stories of peoples lives there, I'm not that good at looking things up, I'm learning though, thanks again.

I am looking for infomation on my great grandparents who owned a shop in Wharton st.up to about 1950 .Their surname was Gilks.My mother lived there till she married in 1946 and then moved to Malvern Hill road.In 1975 our house was knocked down mom moved to Brough Close and i left for Oz.For the past two years my mom was in St Clements Nursing Home Stanley Rd.She died aged 90 a couple of weeks ago i came home for the funeral but was only home for a few days and did not get time to investigate into this side of my family. I would be very greatful for any help

I always thought my mom was born in colehall lane but now I have her birth certificate from my brother, I see she was born in Wharton street, which my aunt said is in nechells, I don't know where about in nechells it is? but has anyone got any photos of it please? especially of around 1932 when she was born.

mariew,on this map whaton st is by the N in Nechells,my wife doreen andrews was born in Thimble mill lane in 1932 bottom left of the map
but even in thoes days it was very heavily populated, and She did not know any one who lived there
sheldon george

Thank you Stephen, another coincidence, it a shame there's no photo's of the street, the only photo I have of the street is of mom sitting on a door step.

Back