• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Welsh Chapel Hockley Hill

S

sharon.spooner1

anyone know about the Welsh Chapel in Birmingham. Welsh Presbyterians about 1872

The Welsh Chapel o f Hockley Hill

It was on the south side of the road, past whitmore st going out of town. Presumably it would be very close to where the road became Soho Hill
Mike

Bit of history about Welsh Churches in Brum:

The first significant influx of Welsh into Birmingham occurred at the time of the building of the town hall, (fn. 82) begun in 1832, which, constructed of Anglesey marble, required the importation of workmen accustomed to that kind of stone. A Welsh Presbyterian or 'Calvinistic Methodist' congregation was in existence in Peck Lane in 1842. (fn. 83) In 1849 the congregation moved into Wood Street Rehoboth chapel. A second chapel was opened by the denomination at Hockley Hill in 1868. (fn. 84) By 1854 there was a Welsh Baptist church at Bell Barn Road, (fn. 85) and in 1860 a Welsh Congregationalist church was formed. In 1872 it was established in a chapel in Wheeler Street. (fn. 86) By 1878 a body of Welsh Wesleyans had taken over an old chapel in Oxford Street. (fn. 87)

thank you so much for this Info

this sure is a wonderful site

wish I had discovered it sooner, I had just about given up with this site of the family

so thank you all, even those not reading this message

There are several Welsh graves in Key Hill Cemetery. This is because it was mainly non conformist. There are several Morgan family memorials with Welsh inscriptions.

thanks for that wendy, not that I have any Morgans in the family.

The church in question is/was situated at the junction of Claremont Road and Whitmore Street where the both join at Hockley Brook opposite Farm Street

Any help appreciated.

cheers.

Dibs.

Dibb I remember the church it was really tiny ,,more like a chapel and it was on Hockley Brook by the bus stops ..it is mentioned in Smudge Smiths book a Paddle in Hockley Brook..it stood back from the road near to a pub i think the pub was called the lamp but not to sure..it had a very small garden out the front ..the church that is (not the pub) Maggie ..on Toms pooter:):)

Thanks Maggie, thanks Alf.............

Maggie, I must have passed that chapel a 100 or more times on my way to Woodwards to purchase new shoes, alas I cannot picture anything that resembles a chapel or indeed the "Lamp" pub, I wonder if Lyn remembers the pub?

Alf, thanks for the link, but after scrolling through the Hockley churches I cannot see anything that comes near to the location I am looking for, Cheers anyhow.

Dibs

dib44

I think it was The Welsh Presbyterian Church located between 91 and 92 Hockley Hill.

Phil

The Welsh church mentioned in this piece perhaps:

The first significant influx of Welsh into Birmingham occurred at the time of the building of the town hall, (fn. 82) begun in 1832, which, constructed of Anglesey marble, required the importation of workmen accustomed to that kind of stone. A Welsh Presbyterian or 'Calvinistic Methodist' congregation was in existence in Peck Lane in 1842. (fn. 83) In 1849 the congregation moved into Wood Street Rehoboth chapel. A second chapel was opened by the denomination at Hockley Hill in 1868. (fn. 84) By 1854 there was a Welsh Baptist church at Bell Barn Road, (fn. 85) and in 1860 a Welsh Congregationalist church was formed. In 1872 it was established in a chapel in Wheeler Street. (fn. 86) By 1878 a body of Welsh Wesleyans had taken over an old chapel in Oxford Street. (fn. 87)

Phil I do think you are right ..I said to Tommy it was more like a little chapel and it did come under Hockley Hill ..Dibb if it is any help as you turned into Hockley Hill from Whitmore Street from what i remember was ..on the corner an Army and Navy stores a fruit and veg shop and a sweet shop..then the co-op it was one or two doors up from there:)

Thank you all, Maggie, Alf, Phil & Jennyann, Do not remember the chapel myself, but just goes to show my dad was right, he always told me I could not see the wood for the trees:D I would not mind so much but I went to Icknield Street School too just around the corner :D

At least i know I can cross that chapel off my search list, I had been looking for non conformist baptisms in the 1830/40s and as this building wasn't built until 1868 I can count that chapel well and truly out of the equation.

Thank you all for all your in depth knowledge & Information.

Kind regards.

Dibs

Back