• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Webb Cycle Wheels Guildford St / Paddington St

jennyzigzag

Accordiing to the 1911 census William Webb, my great, grandfather, was a cycle wheel maker living (and I believe working from) 36 Paddington St. He lived there with his wife Sarah and six children. In 1901 they were living at Court 12, House 8 Guildford st. Does anyone know anything about this cycle wheel-making business?

It's been really interesting reading about the history of the area on these threads, as I don't know the area at all and have recently started to try and trace my family history.
Thanks
Jenny

Most probably he was working from home and wheels would be collected or delivered by himself when completed as many other trades worked from their homes, commonly known as a cottage industry a friend of mines mother had an hand press in the cellar which she did out work, this carried on for many years, my own mother had out work from different company's, carding, lamp shades and paste jewelery. not forgetting peg rugs

No 36 is shown in blue on the map of the west end of Paddington St.

paddington_st_c1889_no_36_in_blue.jpg

hi jenny and welcome to the forum... in that case your gt grandparents and my grand parents were neighbours and most likely knew each other...in 1911 they were living in a back to back marked pink on mikes map...i was also born in that house in 1953 and my brother in 58...unfortunately to date i have not been able to find any pics of this street...i have a few cycle makers in my family ancestry but they worked for companies not from home so maybe this was the case with your gt grandfather unless of course it does say on the census that he was working from home....good luck with your research if you need any help just ask as we have a great bunch of people on here only too willing to lend a hand...

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments and information. The 1901 census lists William as 'own account' (rather than employer or worker) and working 'at home', so the suggestion that he made wheels at home rather than it being a business makes sense. That would also account for him not being listed in the directories. Thanks, too for the map. Exciting to see where they lived (and meet the nieghbours!) and, lacking any photos, it helps envisage what it was like! My family seem to have lived (and moved!) around the Birmingham area for quite a while, so I'll be back to explore and investigate some more! It was fascinating yesterday reading through various parts of the forum. I didn't get much else done!
Thanks again. I'm glad I found you!
Jenny

Back