• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Wast Hill dairy Kings Norton

Which begs the question when did West Hill become Wast Hill (or vice versa ) or not at all ?

The canal tunnel under Wast Hill was called the West Hill tunnel when it was built 1794/97 and still is on the 1903 map.

The road to the west of Kings Norton green is Westhill Road and there is a house on Marlpit Lane called West Hill.

So whither the Wast ?

Hi there,I spent my first Christmas in the Post Office as a relief at Kings
Norton PO, I did a 17mile cycle delivery round on the Wast Hills estate and was told that the whole lot was owned by Cadburys, I must have fit in
those days, I remember having my dinner at 4.30 in the afternoon on Christmas Day! Tough times dont last, Tough people do! Gregory Peck
1916/2003. Bernard67Arnold

Hello again, About the dairy, we are talking ciro; 1953, this was a long, long time ago, I was in the area last year at Kings Norton Golf club for
Birmingham branch dinner of the Coldstream Guards Assc; Sir Adrian Cadbury is our President and a real gentleman to boot! Its a vast estate,
there must be a few thousand hectors, or whatever they are called nowadays, cant be of anymore help sorry,
Cheers Bernard.:cool:

just up the road from wast hills driving range is a big farm which JJ gallager or family owned.. it was painted green like all Gallagers plant :rolleyes: for a number of years ... at one time it may have been Dairy land

Last edited:
Which begs the question when did West Hill become Wast Hill (or vice versa ) or not at all ?

The canal tunnel under Wast Hill was called the West Hill tunnel when it was built 1794/97 and still is on the 1903 map.

The road to the west of Kings Norton green is Westhill Road and there is a house on Marlpit Lane called West Hill.

So whither the Wast ?

According to Worcestershire place name reseach West Hill was from 1275 until 1901 known as Wasthulle on all known maps but was changed to West Hill for the Ordinance Map of 1901.

Back