• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

War Service Record

• Thread starter Thread starter Neville Philpott
  • Start date Start date
N

Neville Philpott

How would i go about finding details of my Grandfathers service details.

Is it an easy task with little or no information or would i need a service
number etc?

thanks
Neville..

Is it an easy task ?
thanks
Neville..

That depends on a lot of things. Date mostly - WW1 is fairly well covered, with what survived WW2 bombing. WW2 and later is still held away from public view mostly, unless you can show that you are a close relative (as I understand, anyway).
What you do know - full name, if a common name, it is going to be difficult (how many John Smiths were there in WW1??), Regiment, rank, number - every bit of detail makes it easier.
Where you look - sites like Ancestry have access to some military files, Midlands Historical Data's listings of Birmingham Electoral Rolls have some information in the 'absent voter' content - where an eligible voter was away in the forces in the 1912, sometimes his regiment and number are posted. If you know Regiment name, sometimes they have files you can search, often at their premises rather than online, though.

That depends on a lot of things. Date mostly - WW1 is fairly well covered, with what survived WW2 bombing. WW2 and later is still held away from public view mostly, unless you can show that you are a close relative (as I understand, anyway).
What you do know - full name, if a common name, it is going to be difficult (how many John Smiths were there in WW1??), Regiment, rank, number - every bit of detail makes it easier.
Where you look - sites like Ancestry have access to some military files, Midlands Historical Data's listings of Birmingham Electoral Rolls have some information in the 'absent voter' content - where an eligible voter was away in the forces in the 1912, sometimes his regiment and number are posted. If you know Regiment name, sometimes they have files you can search, often at their premises rather than online, though.
. Neville, Contact the Veterans Agency UK, they are very helpful & have a Freephone No 0800 169 22 77 Len.

Last edited:
Neville,

Neville did your Grandfather live in Birmingham ?

If so , can you post his full name , year born or thereabouts and area that he lived in if known.

Was he married at the time or living with Parents ?
Could you list their names too please.

Perhaps we can help you then.

Bo

Thanks for all the advice, my Grandfather lived in West Bromwich and i am
only now piecing his details together.

He died way back in the early 1920's, i have some of his service details
but probably not enough to start any serious research.

He did serve with the 15th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Would this be enough for me to iniate a search?

Hi Neville,

Ancestry has copies of the Medal Index Cards. Depending on how common his name is you may easily find him. That will give you the service number. If you happen to have his medals you will find the number on the rim. The MIC records the Regiment so that may be useful when searching.

Ancestry is in the process of loading the surviving WWI service records. But only some 40% exist today with the remainder being destroyed in WWII bombing raids.

The 15th Bn The Royal Warwickshire Regt was also the 2nd Birmingham Battalion. Do you know if he was an original volunteer? What was his full name?

Regards

Terry

My Grandfathers name was George Frederick Smith, his service number was, i believe, Pte 1275.

regards
Neville..

Have checked the Medal Card Index on Ancestry and cannot come up with a G F Smith with number 1275.

Also, I have a list of original volunteers and I cannot put a name to that number either.

Have you any other info?

Regards

Terry

No, i haven't any more information, except that i thought service numbers
were normally five digit whereas his is only four.

Doesn't seem right to me..

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the info, seems a four figure service is ok then, at least at that time.

I might try the Royal Warwicks archives, do they have an e-mail address?

regards
Neville..

Back