• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Walton

DotF

Brummie babby
A friend of mine has a small New Testament with the following handwritten entries:-
Sarah Walton Born December 23rd 1849
Emma Eliza Walton Born Sep 6th 1851
Emma Eliza Walton Died Dec 5th 1851
My friend does not recognise the surname and has no memory as to how the book came into his possession.
It's a bit of a long shot but does anyone have any idea who these two children were?

There's a baptism and burial record for an Emma Eliza Walton matching those dates on Ancestry.
Her parents were John and Mary Ann Walton of Moland Street. John's profession is 'gilt toy maker'.

Thanks for the info. Have found it on Ancestry. I was assuming that the two children recorded on the page were sisters. Problem is, I can't find a baptism for a Sarah born December 1849 with those parents. Have found a baptism for a Sarah baptised 28 April 1850 with parents Joseph and Hannah Walton. It's a bit of a mystery.

Sarah, daughter of John and Mary Ann Walton was baptised 22 Oct 1849 (dob given as 23 Sep).

Mary re-marries in 1867 to a Samuel Bates.

Sarah Walton born 23rd Sept 1849 baptised at St Phillips Birmingham 22nd October 1849 parents John and Mary Ann.

Date amended 1849.

Last edited:
Sarah, daughter of John and Mary Ann Walton was baptised 22 Oct 1849 (dob given as 23 Sep).

Mary re-marries in 1867 to a Samuel Bates.
Thank you. The image that was sent to my husband was a little faded and now I look at it again it could easily be September 23rd. We also think that Mary Ann's maiden name was Cofield if we're on the right track.

Sarah Walton born 23rd Sept 1949 baptised at St Phillips Birmingham 22nd October 1949 parents John and Mary Ann.
Hi Alberta. Thank you - I'm thinking that it should be 1839? I have looked at the baptism register for St Phillips and see that it has been incorrectly transcribed as Watton! Thanks again.

The family are at 98 Rolfe Street, Smethwick in the 1871 census:
Samuel Bates, 74, Engine Driver
Mary A. Bates, 54
Sarah A. Walton, 21, Lacquerer

Sarah here has taken up a craft that her mother practiced on previous censuses

Same circumstances in 1891, Mary Ann and Sarah now living at 60 Pope Street
Once again, thank you for all the information you have shared with me. I will pass this on to my friend and maybe he will be able to work out how and why he ended up with the little book as he doesn't recognise either of the two names entered.

Back