• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Walters family, RWR in WW1

R

RHancox

Hi there :),

I am researching some family members who fought in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (RWR) in the Great War. These include my great, great uncle, George Henry WALTERS and his son Frederick Ernest WALTERS. I have pieced together some information, but would be grateful if anyone has any further information which they could share with me to add to what I know.

1) George Henry WALTERS, by trade a jouneyman tailor, of 22 Chandos St., Leamington Priors, Warwickshire enlisted into the RWR (Private 2903) on 22/8/1890 at Warwick, serving at Malta (16/11/95 to 20/1/97), Egypt (21/1/97 to 3/2/98) and South Africa (24/11/99 to 20/8/02) at which date he was discharged to the army reserves. He re-enlisted in 1914 and served in France / Belgium for two years (Sgt 265025 then CQMS 355436) before being invalided home on 7/12/1916. Interestingly, George Henry WALTERS is listed as being with the RWR in the Tower of London garrison at the time of the 1901 census. His address in the Birmingham Roll of Hounour is given as Victoria Place, Norman St., Winson Green, Birmingham.

2) George Henry WALTERS' son, Frederick Ernest WALTERS, also of Victoria Place, Norman St., Winson Green, Birmingham enlisted at Winchester in the 6th battalion Rifle Brigade on 28/4/1918 aged 19 years and 60 days but was discharged on 22/5/15 for having made a mis-statement as to his age! The Birmingham National Roll of Honour mentions that he re-enlisted a week later in the RWR and was retained in England until 1918 when he joined the Advance of that year, being wounded and invalided home before demobilisation as Lance Corporal in 1918. The Roll of Honour also mentions that he was in the Northumberland Fusiliers. Unfortunately I don't have his service number in RWR.

3) The Birmingham Roll of Honour also lists a GH WALTERS of the same address at Victoria Place Norman St Winson Green, Birmingham. He is most likely another son of George Henry WALTERS senior and brother of Frederick Ernest WALTERS. GH WALTERS junior is listed as a bandsman with RWR, a serving soldier before the war, gassed in 1916 and wounded in 1917 then again in 1918 as stretcher bearer and invalided home. He was still serving in 1920. I haven't found any further records of George Henry WALTERS junior,and again don't have his service number with RWR, but would be very interested to learn more about him and his father / brother.

4) I would also be interested if you have any record of Henry WALTERS (father of George Henry WALTERS senior) of 22 Chandos Street, Leamington Priors, Warwickshire in the RWR, as he has proven to be elusive on domestic censuses prior to 1891!

I would be extremely interested in any further information anyone might have on this interesting WWI family group.

Best wishes,

Richard Hancox :wave:

Back