• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Walter Street Nechells

hi james
i have got memory .s of walter street plenty ; but i have not got any pictures im afraid
in fact i cut through that way two days ago unless you have been there recently or live local now
you would not reconise the ol street ts all ware houses and moderen factorys ;
do you recall the old british road services depot as it was years ago with there big green lorries ; which WAS KNOWN AS THE BRS ; WALTER STREET IF YOU GOT A SHIFT THERE ON THE LOADING BAY YEARS AGO YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN PAYED 200 QUID A WEEK
THERE WAS NEVER A SHORTAGE OF CASUAL WORK AS WELL YPOU HAD TO GET YOUR NME DOWN ;
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ;;

Hi James, I lived in Rupert Street, the Rocky Lane end, I remember Walter Street before the war. The BRS depot mentioned, I am fairly sure, used to be Pickfords before Road Transport was "Nationalized" and then became BRS. Unfortunately I do not have any Photos either.I left Birmingham in 1951 to work in London and after a few years when changing departments I found I was working with a Bernie Hodgets who came from Walter Street.
Regards Reg (Roverman)

hi roverman;
yes it was pickfords before the brs ; they moved tp pickford street hockley
which was facing the hockley brook rail way yard and siding up pickford street in the fifties
and there delivery yard as well on the site there office and a small ajoining yard ; all the big machinery they obtained was parked across the rd
just in the open plan space which ran end of pickford street hockley ; best wishes astonian;;

hi james ;
i hope you do not mind me asking but what year was you living in st clements rd ;
as to what you have described my wife used to livevery close to those yards when she comes home i will asked her the number
she lived at ; she was only young then ;mainly consist of a house of girls and one brother
best wishes astonian ;;

Yes, because they are listed on the north side of Walter St in the Keklkys from the mid 1930s as Pickfords and Midland Red Commercial Services (Pickford Ltd Proprietors). Pickfords became BRS after nationalisation

Just bumping this 10 year old thread, looking for any images.

1891 census has my ancestors living at number 16 Walter Street.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
No photos I'm afraid but there is this aerial view from 1939 and a 1950s map showing No. 16

Attachments

• walter-st-aerial-1939.jpg
    walter-st-aerial-1939.jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 21
  • walter-street-1950s-map.jpg
    walter-street-1950s-map.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ

Thanks in advance.
Hello

My grandad and family lived at Nr 8 Walter Street back when I was a nipper in the late 1950's. I don't know how long they had lived there but they were there during the war at least. Family name was Bournes and there were lots of children (9 I think). I lived there for a time and went to school nearby. It's all a bit hazy now ...... My Mum's maiden name was Colleen Bournes. She worked as a switchboard operator at the BRS depot in the 50's so didn't have far to walk!. She was born in 1930 and had memories of being staffed by German aircraft during the war in Nechells.

Listed at no. 6 Walter St on ERs and 1939 Register (map below).

Looks like 11 children in total - 5 boys and 6 girls, 2 boys sadly died young. Parents William Bournes and Lily Robinson.

0 - Walter St.jpg

Listed at no. 6 Walter St on ERs and 1939 Register (map below).

Looks like 11 children in total - 5 boys and 6 girls, 2 boys sadly died young. Parents William Bournes and Lily Robinson.

View attachment 175666

That's them. That's brilliant! I didn't know my grandma's maiden name was Robinson until now. Considering the size of the house, which was a two up, two down plus a tiny kitchen it's amazing the number of children that lived there. Loo was a brick outbuilding in the yard of course with torn up newspaper as loo roll. Those were the days ...........

When I lived there I'm pretty sure none of the housing opposite existed then. Presumably it had been cleared in preparation for future new housing.

Thank you for your quick response.

Back